Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible
The Bible
What are some of the main fallacies, contradictions, or problems that you see in the bible?

I, in no way, believe in the bible. I am an atheist. I was just wanting to see how many problems are in it, as I am not a biblical scholar.

Big Grin
"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

"Always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15).
RE: The Bible
Everything is a subheadings under the category of "it is the word of god"
Well, of course. That is a given. I mean actual contradictions and whatnot.

For instance, person A says something about person X, and in another passage person B says something entirely different about person X.
"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

"Always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15).
(December 20, 2010 at 3:59 am)Micah Wrote: Well, of course. That is a given. I mean actual contradictions and whatnot.

For instance, person A says something about person X, and in another passage person B says something entirely different about person X.

Try Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted"

Yeah, that and "Misquoting Jesus" - Both are fucking excellent books.
Awesome. I will add these books to my lengthening list of books to read. Big Grin

Try this http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source...s4K4P3KiWg

[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(December 20, 2010 at 3:41 am)Micah Wrote: What are some of the main fallacies, contradictions, or problems that you see in the bible?

I, in no way, believe in the bible. I am an atheist. I was just wanting to see how many problems are in it, as I am not a biblical scholar.

Big Grin

Also read the Bible Unearthed and The Evolution of God. In the Evolution of God the author uses the bible to show how the figure of Yahweh evolved and helps to understand difficult Old Testament verses better by understanding the figure of Yahweh evolved from just another god to the head god to the only god.

Not to mention read works such as Gilgamesh, The Avesta, The Egyptian Book of the Dead and Instruction of Amenemope. The Old Testament writers essentially copied a fair bit from all the above when they wrote the Old Testament.

undefined
I've never seen that website. Nice! Big Grin

Also, interesting books. I will definitely look into them.

(December 20, 2010 at 4:17 am)theVOID Wrote: Yeah, that and "Misquoting Jesus" - Both are fucking excellent books.

I full heartly agree here, Bart D Ehrman uses the "sword of the spirit" against the Fundies.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44145 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7465 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky