Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugh....Spent 3 hours in a church yesterday
Ugh....Spent 3 hours in a church yesterday
The Phoenix Symphony did Handel's Messiah in a church. I felt the urge to take a shower when I got home.

On the plus side....it was amusing to see all the pagan decorations sprinkled around the place by the pious fools.

And least the performance was excellent.
RE: Ugh....Spent 3 hours in a church yesterday
(December 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Phoenix Symphony did Handel's Messiah in a church. I felt the urge to take a shower when I got home.

On the plus side....it was amusing to see all the pagan decorations sprinkled around the place by the pious fools.

Why did you go?
(December 20, 2010 at 1:37 pm)rjh4 Wrote:
(December 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Phoenix Symphony did Handel's Messiah in a church. I felt the urge to take a shower when I got home.

Why did you go?

"The Phoenix Symphony did Handel's Messiah in a church."

Why did you go?

Because the work is a triumph of Western musical expression....even if the story is bullshit.

I love Handel's Messiah. I also love the beauty of the Greek Parthenon. It doesn't mean I think Athena is real or that she was born out of the skull of Zeus.

Appreciation of religious art =/= religious belief
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Oh geez, you're either passionate about choral music or a glutton for punishment Minimalist, either way it was three hours too long.

What's next on your agenda? Paper cutting yourself with the Bible over and over? Opening the door to Jehovah's Witnesses on Christmas Day? Tongue

Why did you go?

Same reason I plan to go to the Sistine Chapel.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(December 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:

Why did you go?

Same reason I plan to go to the Sistine Chapel.

Really? I did not know that the Sistine Chapel was "a triumph of Western musical expression". Hmm. You learn something new every day. Big Grin

By the way, folks, my question was just one of curiosity. It was not filled with some hidden agenda. You may think the answer was obvious, e.g., to hear excellent music. But to me it was not obvious as I would not go somewhere to hear excellent music if I knew I would come home feeling like I had to take a shower, as Min put it. Hence, I thought I would ask to get his perspective about things.
(December 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm)rjh4 Wrote: Really? I did not know that the Sistine Chapel was "a triumph of Western musical expression". Hmm. You learn something new every day. Big Grin

I meant why anyone would go into a church (and deal with the resulting revulsion) to experience art of some sort that was of the religious persuasion.

I figured Min would probably agree, as some of the most fantastic works of art the Renaissance was capable of producing are housed in Rome, seat of his unholiness the Nazi pope...who apparently defends pedophilia. I'd love to visit Rome, but I'd have to bleach my entire body afterwards. It'd be worth it for art and architecture though.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(December 20, 2010 at 4:53 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(December 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm)rjh4 Wrote: Really? I did not know that the Sistine Chapel was "a triumph of Western musical expression". Hmm. You learn something new every day. Big Grin

I meant why anyone would go into a church (and deal with the resulting revulsion) to experience art of some sort that was of the religious persuasion.

I figured Min would probably agree, as some of the most fantastic works of art the Renaissance was capable of producing are housed in Rome, seat of his unholiness the Nazi pope...who apparently defends pedophilia. I'd love to visit Rome, but I'd have to bleach my entire body afterwards. It'd be worth it for art and architecture though.

You do know I was trying to be funny in the paragraph of mine you quoted, don't you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral absolutism debates. Ugh. RobbyPants 16 2853 April 15, 2015 at 9:18 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Don't mess with Texas religion! Ugh! Ziploc Surprise 27 8288 December 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist