Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't mess with Texas religion! Ugh!
Don't mess with Texas religion! Ugh!
Every year there seems to be some nativity scene battle somewhere in the U.S. This one is a bit more obnoxious than most and it goes all the way up to the Attorney General.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top...texas.html
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Don't mess with Texas religion! Ugh!
Some of the comments are so retarded that I weep a little.
Cunt
It is texas..no shortage of jesus freak motherfuckers there.
(December 17, 2011 at 1:40 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes.

Well, I've done that too, and the same for Islam, and dabbled in Judaeism, Buddhism, Taoïsm, Hinduïsm, Shamanism, Wicca, and New Age, and I can confirm from personal observation they are all the same bullshit. They stink to high heaven.
I could only get a short way into the comments before my head hurt from all of the stupid.
I am debating with someone on Facebook about this issue. He sees nothing wrong with it. This is one of his responses:

Quote: "first, whether you want not to believe it, this country was founded on Christian ethic. Secondly, show me where in the Constitution it says "a seperation of church and state." third, in a democracy, majority rules, no where again does it state in the Constitution that you can't hurt some one feelings. It does state that we have the right to pursue happiness, but the key word is "pursue". It is just as much my right to pursue happiness to see a navity scene to remind me of my faith as it is for some idiot to turn his head and not look."

Even an Atheist I know is supporting the courthouse nativity scene. He says (and perhaps rightly so) that a Wisconsin group (a freedom from religion group based in Wisconsin) has no business messing in Texas politics. Furthermore he agrees about the majority rules thing.

Even when I was a fundie I thought that a nativity scene, though often beautiful, was inappropriate on a courthouse lawn. I understand that perhaps the majority in Texas town in the article wanted it, and somewhere the majority should have a right to express themselves. I just don't think it should be done with a religious symbol on a courthouse lawn. Churches are capable of renting spaces and they have lawns of their own. Oh well.

Needless to say that I'm getting my ass reamed on Facebook by this argument, and I will probably loose. I might also get booted out of the Boy Scouts for standing up for this (people don't know I'm an Atheist). I guess it had to happen sometime, I just wish I could have delayed the fight until I was better prepared to fight it.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

(December 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It is texas..no shortage of jesus freak motherfuckers there.

Someone would be hard pressed to find a shortage of Jesus freak motherfuckers anywhere in the US. For example we have a surplus of American JFM's right here on Atheistforums.org.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Here's an interesting article: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/12/09/athei...s-display/

Those comments, oh those comments! The stupid, it hurts! Panic
Quote:Needless to say that I'm getting my ass reamed on Facebook by this argument, and I will probably lose

Lose an argument on Facebook? WHY are you bothering?

NEVER conflate winning or losing an argument with being [necessarily] right or wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15534 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7837 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22200 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4894 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19761 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Moral absolutism debates. Ugh. RobbyPants 16 2827 April 15, 2015 at 9:18 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49205 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  I don't understand how some religion isn't child abuse Boris Karloff 16 4875 February 10, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The_Thinking_Theist
  SO glad I don't live in Texas... SteelCurtain 20 4421 January 27, 2014 at 2:05 am
Last Post: yoshirama