Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Michael
Hurricane Michael
We survived.  The King rode it out at the beach.  On a job site he watched out the front window as the porta-potty from next door took flight and rolled down the street like a barrel.  Now there's a bad job for you----the person who gets to retrieve and make that ready to use again.  If that's even possible.

Thursday evening I washed both dogs in a windowless bathroom and a few minutes later I heard three consecutive booms as a tree fell on wires down the street, followed by the power going out.  That was just before 7 pm.  It is still out.  Recording says they HOPE to have it back on by 11 pm tonight (Saturday).  So far, the street is still blocked with cones about a block from here and nobody has made even the smallest effort to get the tree off of the lines.   I am sooooooooo grateful I wasn't stuck in the dark in a windowless bathroom with a soapy-wet dog when the lights went out.  I literally would have had to try to lift/caryy a dripping sudsy dog through the laundry room, through the dining room and stand, fumbling, on the living room carpet reaching blindly under the TV stand to get a flashlight, then reverse and go back and rinse a very unhappy dog by flashlight.

The King came home last night and dug the generator out of the shed and got it started.  By then we'd lost some things in the fridge/freezer but saved everything in the chest freezer.  It is fully stocked for the winter.  A couple of hours later the generator made a few funky noises and stopped running.  Using his first Smart Phone (had about six weeks now) he figured out it needed oil.  Took some doing to find a place that had electricity and the right oil.  Got it running again and ran it a couple more hours before turning it off to go to bed.  Back on again this morning, this is the first time I've allowed myself to check in here.  After this I'll turn the computer back off to save energy.  All we're really trying to use is the fridge, freezer and I splurged this morning and used the microwave for a minute and fifteen seconds.

Thursday I had JUST put supper on the stove when the power went out.  It was my first real supper since he left for the beach last Sunday.  I'd been living on sandwiches, salad and cereal.

I'm glad he's home.  He's glad he's home.  The dogs are DELIRIOUS that he's home.  I wonder if it's going to be even harder for us to watch him leave again tomorrow. 

Hope everyone here weathered to storm okay.  I'll be back whenever the lights come back on!
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
RE: Hurricane Michael
Glad to hear you're safe!
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I am glad you are safe. What a terrible storm Sad
Illegitimi non carborundum
outa, I was an Engineman and Machinist Mate for twenty years. If one of my guys had started an engine without checking the oil I would have used him for a boat anchor.
I thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that you are safe, kiddo.

FSM Grin 

Praise his noodly appendage.
Gawd---agreed. It was fortunate that it had a built-in cutoff switch for when the oil is running low.

As experienced as we both are in construction, this is our first generator. Got it used at an estate sale. This is the third time we've used it and have used it longer this time than ever before. Glad we had it but ddddddaaaaaaaammmmnnn, it takes a lot of gas to get through a whole day/night.

Anyway, they shut off the power to the rest of Tinytown tonight while getting everything replaced. I guess those neighbors were out for, maybe two hours. Maybe only one. But you sure could hear them whining. We were out for almost 50 hours. Of all the things I missed (TV, computer, LIGHTS) I think I missed caller ID the most of all. Had to answer every call without knowing whether it would be nuisance call. I swear there were twice as many as usual. I think the SOBs intentionally targeted the part of the country that wouldn't know who was calling. And now,of course, their dastardly little systems KNOW this is an active phone number.

I have a renewed sense of how horrible it must be for all the people who STILL don't have power all this time after Hurricane FLORENCE, and then had to see Michael come this week too. I'm also realizing just how many vampire appliances, etc. that we have. I kept finding them the whole time the generator was running.
You start by flipping the breakers for every area you're not using. Then unplug anything that you can find in the dark, by sound or those tiny lights.
We went without power for 48 hours after a tornado, it was the worst. Luckily it was only our housing development that was affected so eating was not limited and I could send my wife to Panera for her internet fix. And someone had given us those LED push lights so no candles were needed. 

Amazingly the hot water lasted (used sparingly) so that we could comfortably shower. And who knew dogs slept so much with no lights on at night.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I am grateful that we have a gas water heater. We could still take a hot shower the whole time the power was out.
(October 15, 2018 at 12:16 pm)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: I am grateful that we have a gas water heater.  We could still take a hot shower the whole time the power was out.

In the dark. Together.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.