Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about genetics
A question about genetics
My question involves a very unlikely, one might even say impossible scenario.

Let's say a woman from the future arrived and accidentally ran into her great great great great grandfather.

She doesn't know that he's her great great great great grandfather.

They end up falling in love and having children and living a full and happy life.

Genetically speaking, could she be her own great great great great grandmother.

Genetically would it be possible ?
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
RE: A question about genetics
Accepting all of your premises, sure.  Genetics does not share our distaste for incest.

Hell, we have a whole religion full of morons who worship a guy who fucked his own mother so he could be born.

Of course, they will probably object to that characterization.

Angel
A lot would depend on whether the 'Time line' is open or closed.

If it's a 'Closed' idea then, yes, by the structure of the reality in which she resides she is her own.... Anti-descendant'? (Not sure if that's the right term).
"Fate" has made it so. Pretty much as if some weird, mysterious artifcat which had been handed down over myriad generations. Which contained cryptic messages and symbols that are slowly, painstacingle resolved and unlocked... Only for said device to be the focal point for a time machine in which it is sent back in time. Hence the object not actually having a 'Beginning' since all it's doing is resetting itself through history/time.

If it's an 'Open' idea... Then possibly not as now you have different branches of diverging 'Future-history' for things to cascade away off into forever.

As a side note... Doesn't travelling backwards in time effectivly violate Einstein's theorys?
As in you can't move 'Mass/energy' from one part of time and put it at another since you can't 'Create or destroy enrgy/mass'?
Which would seem to be another idea behind 'Multiverse' concepts.
You can't travell backwards in your time line... BUt you can cross over into an alternate reality's effective 'Past'.

I vaguely remember such a short sci-fi yarn where the designated 'Alpha'-verse was doing just that to other, parallel and less dveloped realities. The final image was of a one of the 'Preyed upon' realities whre a young, destitue musician sat with their head in their hand in the gutter as the 'Walk-man' (Shows its age, huh?) listened to all the music they would right which had already been 'Copyrighted' by the 'Alpha'-reality.

Of course, for a more up-deat version, you could always make the better claim that said artist would be inspired by their alternate self to be pushed to go to even creater creative heights.    Smile

Hope the ramble helps. Big Grin

Not at work.
(October 18, 2018 at 1:36 am)Rahn127 Wrote:

Edit, simply adding this: there has to be a long history of incest for the breakdown of DNA to occur to the point of genetic mutation. (In case you were wondering about that Tongue)
Maybe I can word this differently.

Instead of the whole time travel thing, we have a geneticist who creates a test tube baby and engineers the child's genome by accident that happens to be an exact duplicate of her future great great great great granddaughter.

If we represent the test tube child with the letters
abcdef & her future husband as ghijkl, then they have a child with 50% DNA from mother & father.

You could have a great many different combinations
acdgkl
befhik
And the list goes on and on.
For simplicity sake I'm going to pick abcghi

This new child grows up and has a child with a man who we will describe as mnopqr
This new grandchild will be abcmno

That grandchild grows and meets a man we'll describe as stuvwx.
They have a child which becomes abcstu

That child grows and has a child with a man described as yzadef.
Their child can now be described as abcdef which is the same genome as her great great great great grandmother (I probably have too many greats in there. Oh well) You get the idea.

I tend to think it's possible, but just highly unlikely, like a 1 in a trillion chance.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(October 18, 2018 at 1:53 am)Minimalist Wrote: Accepting all of your premises, sure.  Genetics does not share our distaste for incest.

For example: When they went looking for surviving Mexican grey wolves in the '80s they found SEVEN specimens, six males and one female (who was directly related to two of the males). Today we have over a hundred, all healthy animals. Careful breeding with close attention to their genetics made this possible.

(October 18, 2018 at 2:05 am)Kit Wrote: Edit, simply adding this: there has to be a long history of incest for the breakdown of DNA to occur to the point of genetic mutation. (In case you were wondering about that Tongue)

You know what I'd say here... Read
(October 18, 2018 at 5:38 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You know what I'd say here...  Read

Be a sport and say it anyway. Naughty
(October 18, 2018 at 5:40 am)Kit Wrote:
(October 18, 2018 at 5:38 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You know what I'd say here...  Read

Be a sport and say it anyway.   Naughty

Come meet my cousins. Dodgy
(October 18, 2018 at 1:36 am)Rahn127 Wrote: My question involves a very unlikely, one might even say impossible scenario.

Let's say a woman from the future arrived and accidentally ran into her great great great great grandfather.

She doesn't know that he's her great great great great grandfather.

They end up falling in love and having children and living a full and happy life.

Genetically speaking, could she be her own great great great great grandmother.

-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[Image: einstein_fucking_yourself_theory.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  生物学101:Genetics and Evolution. Duke Guilmon 2 2121 March 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  TIL Genetics in Saudi Arabia is Dragonetti 1 888 June 15, 2013 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  any good books on genetics recomendations? justin 2 1301 May 8, 2013 at 9:58 am
Last Post: justin
  Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality TaraJo 16 6277 December 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis