Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality
Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality
http://io9.com/5967426/scientists-confir...on_ref_map

Interesting study that's come out recently. Scientists found that it isn't genetics that causes homosexuality, but genetic expression resulting from several different uterine factors.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality
That does seem to answer the question.
RE: Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality
Quote:Writing in The Quarterly Review of Biology, researchers William Rice, a professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and Urban Friberg, a professor at Uppsala University in Sweden, believe that homosexuality can be explained by the presence of epi-marks — temporary switches that control how our genes are expressed during gestation and after we're born.

Specifically, the researchers discovered sex-specific epi-marks which, unlike most genetic switches, get passed down from father to daughter or mother to son. Most epi-marks don't normally pass between generations and are essentially "erased." Rice and Friberg say this explains why homosexuality appears to run in families, yet has no real genetic underpinning.

I guess one can still fit this into the category of genetics then.

And I really dont hink that there is any such thing as "the one final explaination for sexual orientation".
A persons sexuality is just as influenced by his or her genes as by his or her surroundings.

Meaning, a person doesn`t get it`s sexuality handed over like car keys when it reaches puperty.
Just like person isn`t handed over it`s personality when it reaches adulthood at the age of 18.

Frankly: A persons sexuality also evolves out of that persons expiriences and out of the social\psychological influences under which that person stands. - Not only out of the genes it carries.
This is an interesting bit:

Quote:And importantly — in order to satisfy the rules of Darwinian selection — the researchers noted through their mathematical modeling that these epigenetic characteristics can easily proliferate in the population because they increase the fitness of the parent; these epi-marks normally protect parents from natural variation in sex hormone levels during fetal development. They also only rarely escape erasure and reduce the fitness of offspring.

So much for the oft-trotted-out canard that homosexuality is a problem for evolution.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I...uh...

Can I get that in Layman's please? D: Went right over my head, haha.
(December 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I...uh...

Homosexuality isn't directly genetic. Instead, it's based on how certain genes are expressed; how much, how many, where and when of certain traits. That's what seems to determine it, or at least has a strong influence on it.

It actually raises some interesting ethical questions. For example, if you were going to have a child, would you be willing to manipulate that childs' genetic presentation to prevent the child from being gay? What about trans? Even without transphobia, we have some painful body issues to deal with.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Tabula Rasa, 'nuff said
We all know those homo-fetuses knew what they were doing with their nefarious gene expressions!
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm)TaraJo Wrote:
(December 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I...uh...

Homosexuality isn't directly genetic. Instead, it's based on how certain genes are expressed; how much, how many, where and when of certain traits. That's what seems to determine it, or at least has a strong influence on it.

It actually raises some interesting ethical questions. For example, if you were going to have a child, would you be willing to manipulate that childs' genetic presentation to prevent the child from being gay? What about trans? Even without transphobia, we have some painful body issues to deal with.

Ohhhhhhh!

Now I gotcha. Big Grin

Yeah, the ethics of shaping a child's sexuality are...well, I dunno. I mean, if genetic tailoring could be done, I'd probably have my offspring be hetero, if only just to ensure my genetics got passed on at least one more time hopefully. I mean, they didn't make the choice to be conceived and they didn't make the choice of sexuality either regardless if I had a hand in that or not. So...

Yeah, I can see how that might cause some problems, there.
Yeah I always assumed it was similar to handedness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about genetics Rahn127 17 1242 October 20, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Sexism - homosexuality Azu 67 9128 November 23, 2017 at 7:17 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Homosexuality paulpablo 63 7647 February 19, 2016 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  New Letters Added to the Genetic Alphabet IATIA 6 1879 July 16, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  生物学101:Genetics and Evolution. Duke Guilmon 2 2137 March 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Genetic study suggest Polynesians had contact with Native Americans before Columbus Anomalocaris 0 923 October 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Genetic Entropy? (Accidently Posted in "Introductions" Forum) OfficerVajardian 11 5169 August 14, 2014 at 2:23 am
Last Post: OfficerVajardian
  Interesting Genetic Finding Minimalist 17 3074 July 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The evolutionary puzzle of homosexuality downbeatplumb 1 1488 February 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality pop_punks_not_dead 45 12611 February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên