Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oy
Oy
Oregon GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Wants Weakened Vaccine Laws

"I also think that parents should have the right to opt out — to opt out for personal beliefs, religious beliefs or even if they have strong alternative medical beliefs...”  (emphasis added)

This man, mind you, is a physician -- a surgeon.
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
RE: Oy
Then he should have his medical licence taken away and be banned from running for political office ever.

Stupid fucking prick.
Dying to live, living to die.
Anyone who doesn't get their children vaccinated should be brought up on charges of child endangerment.  Any candidate or elected official who proposes the same should be brought up on conspiracy to commit child endangerment.  Fuckwits.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Can we just lock him up for a year or two with other unvaccinated assholes?
Generally I can take a kind of absurdist attitude towards most kinds of woo-woo, including religion.  But medical quackery is one of my "hot buttons'.  I've known too many people who were seriously harmed by it -- including some family members -- to just let it slide.

THIS pisses me off on multiple levels.  

It's bad enough that we have been seeing a resurgence of childhood diseases that we thought we had licked -- and should have had licked -- 20 years ago.  And it sucks that what this guy is probably doing is pandering to the religious right to get elected (unless he really did have a ridiculous "change of heart").  Political pandering I expect, and can deal with.

But even though physicians aren't necessarily "scientists", most of the public sees them as such, or at least sees them as representatives of the scientific establishment.  Having a perceived scientist  take a position like this does a huge amount of damage by feeding the anti-science sentiment in this country that's been growing for the last 30 years.  "Antivax" sentiment isn't a left/right political issue; it's found all across the political spectrum.  If it becomes any more pervasive it has the potential to seriously threaten us all.

What especially tweaks me is that line about "strong alternative medical beliefs".  WTF does that mean?
People who believe you can cure cancer and dandruff with the right combination of crystals and incense?
People who believe that swinging a dead cat around your head in a graveyard at midnight cures warts?

Or does it mean people who believe that they should never take their child to a doctor, because if they pray right, and are worthy, "God" will heal them directly?

We have people like that in the state, right now.  People who denied medical care to sick kids, and over two decades had so many of them die -- often in agony -- that a law needed to be passed to remove the "religious exemption" for medical treatment from state statute, where children were concerned.  A law sponsored, in part, by an evangelical Christian legislator, who was so appalled when the facts were laid before him that he felt morally obligated to remove the exemption.

If people want to do stupid things to themselves, that's one thing.  When they inflict them on others, including children, that's something else altogether.  Unless someone is living as a hermit in a cave somewhere, they have a responsibility to the community they inhabit.

Arrgh.  Make me want to whack someone upside the head with a 2x4.   Mad

I wasn't going to vote for this clown, anyway, but I really wasn't very involved in this election at all, before this.  Now I will be actively supporting the opposition, just to spite this guy on this one issue.  

Fucking dumbass jerk.

(Sorry, I don't often rant so seriously ... )
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
(October 25, 2018 at 5:37 pm)Dr H Wrote: Oregon GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Wants Weakened Vaccine Laws

"I also think that parents should have the right to opt out — to opt out for personal beliefs, religious beliefs or even if they have strong alternative medical beliefs...”  (emphasis added)

This man, mind you, is a physician -- a surgeon.

Fuck that asshole. His job is to do his job. And if you know that certain things are extremely likely to benefit the most people, your oath is the Hippocratic oath, not to an old book of mythology. If you give bad advice on purpose for bias reasons, you should lose your licence and be sued and possibly arrested.
In a related note: "Chickenpox Outbreak Keeps 38 Unvaccinated Kids From Class"

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...from-class

Hope the asshole parents lost wages having to watch their kids.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 25, 2018 at 7:48 pm)wyzas Wrote: In a related note: "Chickenpox Outbreak Keeps 38 Unvaccinated Kids From Class"

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...from-class

Hope the asshole parents lost wages having to watch their kids.

The asshole parents should be fined for endangerment.
Dying to live, living to die.
For fucks sake.

People like this are responsible for an outbreak of measles in Europe at the moment:

Anti-vaxxers ‘are behind huge measles outbreak in Europe’ which has killed 37

I'm not entirely sure of the in's/outs of what the law entails, but in the UK I believe you can be taken to court if you refuse certain medical treatment for your child without good reason. In this day and age, it's honestly BACKWARDS. My great grandmother is probably spinning in her grave, as she had Polio as a child, but lived through an age where a vaccine was made for it, and it was pretty much entirely wiped out. I honestly cannot understand how people argue about vaccines A) not working at all [which some people suggest, not all but some] or B) that they cause autism, based upon a paper written by a bloke who knew absolute fuck all.
"Be Excellent To Each Other"
I could get behind such a law only if the vaccine refusing parents agree to be sterilized.

If they want to be such ignorant twats, endangering their kids ( and others) - at least don't let them breed more.

A bit of chlorine in the shallow end of the gene pool....

The problem would be solved in time.