Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frustrations with grammar
Frustrations with grammar
I just watched an episode of Judge Judy. Whenever the defendant answered a question, she would say "her and me..." in reference to discussions that she had with the plaintiff.

I'm sorry, but this is a basic grammar skill, one learned in elementary school.
It is not "her and me had this agreement."
You're on national TV. At least try to sound educated. So how about "I had an agreement with the plaintiff." Or, "I had an agreement with her."
"Her and me" sounds like you never got past kindergarten.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: Frustrations with grammar
And for a group it's "Them and me," or, "Me and them bastards over there!"
Dying to live, living to die.
There are times when ‘her and me’ is correct. To check, take out the ‘her and’ bit.  For instance, ‘He handed it to her and me’ is correct (even though it sounds wrong) because you wouldn’t say, ‘He handed it to I.’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:"Her and me" sounds like you never got past kindergarten.

I think you answered your own question.
When someone complains of a person' s failure to properly use " The King' s English" - I can't help feeling that they have forgotten that the king is an inbred cunt.

Language' s primary purpose is to convey ideas and information. If you are efficiently doing so - you' re doing it right.

The rest is just snobbery.
When I was in Highschool there were students who would say that, "They wenteded to the store".
(November 14, 2018 at 6:48 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: When someone complains of a person' s failure to properly use " The King' s English" - I can't help feeling that they have forgotten that the king is an inbred cunt.

Language' s primary purpose is to convey ideas and information. If you are efficiently doing so - you' re doing it right.

"The Queen's English..."

No, she's a lot German.
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm learning German grammar at the moment.

From what I can tell, there are three genders. Each noun has it's own gender; male, female, neuter.

Easy for King and Queen, then 'girl' is neutral. So you have to learn it for most words.

The gender changes which word you use with it, e.g. the thing, a thing, which thing, this thing etc.

So for the you have Der Die or Das depending on whether it's male, female or neutral.

But the word also changes according to whether the noun is singular or plural, or which case it is; nominative, accusative, genitive or dative. Case is determined whether the noun is being acted on directly, indirectly, owned by, or via a recipient.

But the Germans don't come up with an entirely different word each time, they re-use words from different genders and cases.

And quite often using the correct gender and case is the only way to determine the meaning of the entire sentence and it can be a single letter different each time.

And the way verbs end changes accordingly as well.

Oh and they also use the same word for she and they.
(November 14, 2018 at 6:48 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: When someone complains of a person' s failure to properly use " The King' s English" - I can't help feeling that they have forgotten that the king is an inbred cunt.

Yeah, I didn't imply that. Speaking with some intelligence is required if you want to win your court battle. Also, if you constantly heard someone saying "him and me" or "her and me" all the time, you'd start to think they really weren't all that intelligent. I just asked my 16 year old about it and she agreed. 

And no - it isn't snobbery to want to be and sound educated.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(November 14, 2018 at 7:03 pm)Mathilda Wrote: I'm learning German grammar at the moment.

From what I can tell, there are three genders. Each noun has it's own gender; male, female, neuter.

Easy for King and Queen, then 'girl' is neutral. So you have to learn it for most words.

The gender changes which word you use with it, e.g. the thing, a thing, which thing, this thing etc.

So for the you have Der Die or Das depending on whether it's male, female or neutral.

But the word also changes according to whether the noun is singular or plural, or which case it is; nominative, accusative, genitive or dative. Case is determined whether the noun is being acted on directly, indirectly, owned by, or via a recipient.

But the Germans don't come up with an entirely different word each time, they re-use words from different genders and cases.

And quite often using the correct gender and case is the only way to determine the meaning of the entire sentence and it can be a single letter different each time.

And the way verbs end changes accordingly as well.

Oh and they also use the same word for she and they.

'A dog is "der Hund"; a woman is "die Frau"; a horse is "das Pferd"; now you put that dog in the genitive case, and is he the same dog he was before? No, sir; he is "des Hundes"; put him in the dative case and what is he? Why, he is "dem Hund." Now you snatch him into the accusative case and how is it with him? Why, he is "den Hunden." But suppose he happens to be twins and you have to pluralize him- what then? Why, they'll swat that twin dog around through the 4 cases until he'll think he's an entire international dog-show all in is own person. I don't like dogs, but I wouldn't treat a dog like that--I wouldn't even treat a borrowed dog that way. Well, it's just the same with a cat. They start her in at the nominative singular in good health and fair to look upon, and they sweat her through all the 4 cases and the 16 the's and when she limps out through the accusative plural you wouldn't recognize her for the same being. Yes, sir, once the German language gets hold of a cat, it's goodbye cat. That's about the amount of it.' - Mark Twain

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on contractions when it comes to grammar? NuclearEnergy 32 3318 March 28, 2017 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish