Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rage and Outrage
Rage and Outrage
Is there really a difference between Rage and Outrage?

Since nothing is intrinsically outrageous.
RE: Rage and Outrage
A quick trip to dictionary.com yields us this.

Quote:Rage
–noun
1.angry fury; violent anger.
2.a fit of violent anger.
3.fury or violence of wind, waves, fire, disease, etc.
4.violence of feeling, desire, or appetite: the rage of thirst.
5.a violent desire or passion.
6.ardor; fervor; enthusiasm: poetic rage.
7.the object of widespread enthusiasm, as for being popular or fashionable: Raccoon coats were the rage on campus.
8.Archaic . insanity.

Outrage
–noun
1.an act of wanton cruelty or violence; any gross violation of law or decency.
2.anything that strongly offends, insults, or affronts the feelings.
3.a powerful feeling of resentment or anger aroused by something perceived as an injury, insult, or injustice: Outrage seized the entire nation at the news of the attempted assassination.

So short answer. Yes.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
*Sigh* I wasn't talking about the concepts but rage and outrage as they are experienced in reality.....with the definitions of them already understood.

That's why I mentioned "Since nothing is intrinsically outrageous".
(December 30, 2010 at 5:15 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: *Sigh* I wasn't talking about the concepts but rage and outrage as they are experienced in reality.....with the definitions of them already understood.

Even as they are currently understood and used I think the difference is obvious.

Rage is an experience or an action on the part of an individual whereas outrage is response to an outside action. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Cheers

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
No Idea Nothing to add
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(December 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Is there really a difference between Rage and Outrage?

Since nothing is intrinsically outrageous.

Not sure.

Offhand I'd say rage is the same as anger,a threat reaction,and instinctive.

Outrage is I think indignation,which is a learned response. The feeling seems based in part on the quaint notions that others should share our values and have an obligation to meet our personal expectations.
I thought this was going to be another one of those modern rock group threads.
(December 30, 2010 at 5:15 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: *Sigh* I wasn't talking about the concepts but rage and outrage as they are experienced in reality.....with the definitions of them already understood.

Rage is a state of uncontrolled fury,

Outrage is more furious, but also more controlled.

Simply: Rage is blind, outrage is directed.

Illustration: striking me (hard) from a state of relaxation will likely cause me to have a brief rage (uncontrolled anger lashing out as my brain catches up). Hitting me while I'm fully aware of my surroundings will cause a much more controlled outburst of anger (i understand what happened and what to direct my fury upon), whether that be then contained, reserved for future vengeance, or simply vented by the fist.

Second illustration: Cage a wild tiger, and shock it repeatedly without it being aware of how the shocks are administered. This tiger will very likely go into a rage as is fights to stop what is happening without knowing what that is. Repeat the caging on another wild tiger, and jab at it with a stick.... the tiger will be outraged at you/the stick/both and will exact its violence upon such.

More simple for anyone that *still* doesn't get it: I'm going to punch you in the face. With a screwdriver.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(December 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm)Sam Wrote: Rage is an experience or an action on the part of an individual whereas outrage is response to an outside action. Or am I misunderstanding you?

I think you do misunderstand me.

If a person looks at a red box from one angle, and another person looks at the same red box from another angle making it look different... does that mean its a different box? No. The perspective is just different. The red box is the same red box in experience, in reality, even if they are defined as different things when they are looked at from different perspectives.

So what I'm suggesting is that the experience of outrage can still be the same as the experience of rage..... it's just that the outrage is a raging mind looking at the thing that caused the rage, and the rage is the experience of the raging mind itself.... it's just a different perspective. And, importantly: Because rage does actually exist intrinsically as an emotion, and on the other hand, nothing is intrinsically outrageous: When we are enraged isn't that in fact identical in experience to when we are outraged?

I'm a fan of saving space ^_^ Sing Sling Swing Kwlerping ^_^

Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In support of the rage of man bennyboy 244 11165 April 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The place of rage and hate Lemonvariable72 45 7793 November 20, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Surgenator