Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge diff btwn Oppression & Blasphemy
Huge diff btwn Oppression & Blasphemy
Oppression is what Iran and Saudi Arabia do.

Blaspheming a character written in antiquity is not.

Trying to control women's reproductive rights, and or the way they dress, is oppression.

Telling someone to stay the fuck out of your business is not.

A politician vilifying people through political bullying are what tyrants do.

A civilian telling that politician off is not oppressing a politician. A reporter asking tough questions also is not oppressing them.

Banning free speech by government is oppression.

Not getting everything you want on a board you do not own and don't run is not oppression.

I cannot stress this enough. There ARE oppressed Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists and even atheists in the world. One can BE both for human rights and the right to BLASPHEME both religion and political leaders. But I really do get tired of our far right here in America which really amounts to our species history of fearing change.  

Your private parts will not fall off if you keep your nose out of of reproduction.

Your private parts will not fall off if gays get married.

Your private parts will not fall off if we reduce firearm violence.

Your private parts will not fall off if your party doesn't win every office.

There are part of the world where if you say, "I don't believe" you can get murdered by a mob,or arrested and or murdered by the state. There are parts of the world where reporters get murdered for questioning authorities. If someone thinks reading or hearing the word "bullshit" can be treated the same as say Isis beheading people, you really have no grasp on what oppression is. And even saying things like, "If that is what you claim, then your God is a dick" is a response to your claim, not a call for your death. 

I have seen too much of history, and having been bullied as a kid myself, to have others, AND again, not just here, but in daily life outside this website, have them hide behind their insecurities to justify bad logic. Having talked to real victims too, victims of the Holocaust, victims of bigotry, having heard stories of even teens being kicked out of their houses for being gay, or for being atheist. Having even heard stories of people in oppressive countries talk about their fears of even being discovered making posts, I have no compunction with being blunt about those in a free society not understanding the difference between oppression and blasphemy.

If one gets to go to bed every night without fear of violence or death, then you need to understand merely getting offended is not a death sentence.
RE: Huge diff btwn Oppression & Blasphemy
Bad day, mate?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Huge diff btwn Oppression & Blasphemy
(November 17, 2018 at 9:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Bad day, mate?

Boru

Hell no, I am having a great day. Beer, football, nice house. Your trivia thread however reminds me of how much I don't know. He he. Those are some hard questions. I cheated on one, got lucky on the other, have no clue about the others. 

This post really is more about a long term issue with how humans behave in response to getting offended. I just posted it as a reminder as to how much better people have it in the west as compared to other parts of the world. I do see lots of good in my species. I think however many don't see what they have sometimes. 

And I make similar posts like this reminder on other social media too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Blasphemy Thread Vosur 44 5834 December 24, 2014 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  School Mistakes Huge Burrito for a Weapon theblindferrengi 17 5123 March 25, 2010 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious