Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesex discussion thread
Middlesex discussion thread
Wasn't sure whether to put this in a science or arts thread.  I'm nearly through with the book Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides which came out in 2002 and has won a Pulitzer and other prizes.  Just a great story and a fascinating though rare condition.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2187.Middlesex

I've always been intrigued by what differences there may be between the sexes, especially any involving our perspective on and experience of the world and ourselves.  To read a tale written from the POV of someone whose POV is a mix of or entirely other than both has been great fun.

The other night I couldn't sleep so I got in extra chapters the first time I got up and the second time I started reading about the condition(s) on wiki.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex  There seems to be some movement at least in medical settings for moving from "middlesex" to "disorders of sexual development".  While classifying it as a pathology is controversial its advocates insist that sexual assignment surgery must never be used to treat the parents discomfort, but only ever to address real and immediate physical risks for the patient until such time they might choose to address their own psychological distress in that way.  These issues are not necessary to confront to enjoy a story well told, reaching back three generations with interesting historical subtexts.  

Anyone interested in discussing Eugenides' novel or the condition(s) itself?  Would be great for me to be able to do so with others who are interested or have experience (your own or an acquaintance) to share.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Discussion down Thumpalumpacus 16 1205 June 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7657 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books Neo-Scholastic 20 2381 November 20, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Civil Commentary on the R'lyeh commentary on Civil Discussion Threads Whateverist 5 1230 November 18, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4123 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13772 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Discussion topics you will never see here vorlon13 90 9989 September 20, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Reputation Discussion Thread Excited Penguin 42 3977 November 26, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Recovering old PMs on another discussion board Clueless Morgan 6 2106 August 5, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Debate, Discussion, Argument KichigaiNeko 5 2768 March 20, 2013 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger