Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowering your carbon footprint
Lowering your carbon footprint
I have a neighbor who recently traded in his 15 year old Toyota and bought a Prius - saying he wanted to " lower his carbon footprint"..

Did he?

I contend that no - he did not.

His Toyota was paid for. It already existed - and it continues to exist. It actually wasn't in bad shape. It actually got OK had mileage over 30 mpg - he wasn't quite sure.

The Prius needed to be built -- that itself has a carbon footprint - and it dwarfs the difference between the gas that he would burn in the Toyota versus the difference in saving gas in the better milage Prius. 

Think about what goes into building a new car - the mining and refining of raw materials, the building of tooling to build components, the building of those components and then the assembly and transport ( as components as well) to the dealer. If you are buying a new car - you' re responsible for all that increased carbon footprint.

You just don't think about it.

You believe the dealer who tells you you're " saving the planet"

No - if you really want to lower your carbon footprint - stay home, or walk.
RE: Lowering your carbon footprint
Apples to oranges comparisons don't really tell us anything. In the case of CFLs, the switch from incandescent to CFLs was significant, but we're normally interested in apples to apples comparisons of carbon footprint from end-to-end, as analysis such as yours only apply to points of change from one technology to another, and become moot once the change has already passed. This is because the costs associated with the change do not affect future behavior cost once that epoch is passed, and so become irrelevant to our planning for the future.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I guess I' m trying to say that my neighbor isn't really concerned about lowering his carbon footprint - he just likes the excuse to buy a new car, while feeling good about it.

It' s that way with lots of things. Like airport security. All the bullshit you put up with in security screening means nothing. Any competent terrorist will figure a way around the security measures. All the screening does is make white people feel safe.

Ditto - gun free zones. The height of arrogance and stupidity. If someone decides they' re going to spend the morning shooting people for sport - do you REALLY think they're going to see the "gun free zone" sign, shrug their shoulders, and head home thinking " Gee, that ruins my plans for the morning," 

Nope.. It' s just bullshit to allow white people to delude themselves...
Buying a hybrid or battery-powered vehicle allows one to move the pollution to those coal-fired plants in Utah.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I think all of society has the make the change for it to become viable, as Jorm suggested. It's time we make that change as a whole.
(November 25, 2018 at 2:30 pm)Fireball Wrote: Buying a hybrid or battery-powered vehicle allows one to move the pollution to those coal-fired plants in Utah.

As other authors have noted, the comparisons between the carbon footprints of hybrid or battery powered vehicles is dependent upon where and how those cars are manufactured. Suggesting that they inherently have a comparable carbon footprint is wrong.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Saying that purchasing a more fuel efficient doesn't lower your carbon footprint is rather advocating burning car tires to save space in the landfill. You REALLY want to lower your carbon footprint?  Kill your pets.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 25, 2018 at 3:03 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Saying that purchasing a more fuel efficient doesn't lower your carbon footprint is rather advocating burning car tires to save space in the landfill. You REALLY want to lower your carbon footprint?  Kill your pets.

Boru

Buying a new car to save on gas is like making new tires to dispose of.

Killing the pets is valid.

Tongue
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhcWadTrWLWCoZ5PVQvIY...iFCLV8ntQN]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 25, 2018 at 2:50 pm)Shell B Wrote: I think all of society has the make the change for it to become viable, as Jorm suggested. It's time we make that change as a whole.

Make the change to what???

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Carbon Capture Technologies Leonardo17 11 332 February 29, 2024 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Agriculture, Climate Change and Carbon Sequestration The Grand Nudger 4 1636 August 4, 2012 at 4:13 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Even more carbon from permafrost popeyespappy 2 1052 December 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: paintpooper