Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carbon Capture Technologies
Lightbulb 
Carbon Capture Technologies
    At the state in which thing are in the present moment, this is mainly understood as a very promising technology for the future at best and a technique of greenwashing that is being used by big oil companies at worst.

Island has some direct carbon-capture plants that are working on geothermal energy in which the carbon captured from the air is than sold to major industries. Norway is even buying carbon in liquid form and is injecting it back into deep wells into the soil. The problem is that we would need several hundreds of thousands of such carbon capture plants to create any significant change.

But the technology is still very useful in other areas. In cement production, for instance, this technology will allow to reduce carbon emissions by 50%.

And in Singapore they had another idea. They built a 2 million dollar plant that removes carbon from sea water. There is 150 times more carbon in sea water than in the air. Once you remove the carbon from sea water, that sea water is going to such even more carbon from the atmosphere:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/singapore-bui...03374.html

So this might be one of these several solutions that need to be applied all at once if we are to remain here instead of moving to places like Mars Smile
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

RE: Carbon Capture Technologies
Another alternative is planting trees. Forests do an impressively good job of sequestering carbon.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hiding the CO2 underground is only a short term fix.. it will eventually leak out again
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(February 29, 2024 at 11:35 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Hiding the CO2 underground is only a short term fix.. it will eventually leak out again

That’s the case with any carbon capture system (even trees). The solution is to capture/sequester carbon while reducing emissions. Otherwise, it’s like trying to lose weight by running five miles and stopping for a bacon-fudge sundae on the way.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 29, 2024 at 11:30 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Another alternative is planting trees. Forests do an impressively good job of sequestering carbon.

Boru

Oh my Thor, I live in a rural county, but we have a gigantic construction boom going on here, it is quickly not looking rural anymore. There is so much deforestation going on here. Our species cant keep doing that at the pace we are.
(February 29, 2024 at 2:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 29, 2024 at 11:30 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Another alternative is planting trees. Forests do an impressively good job of sequestering carbon.

Boru

Oh my Thor, I live in a rural county, but we have a gigantic construction boom going on here, it is quickly not looking rural anymore. There is so much deforestation going on here. Our species cant keep doing that at the pace we are.

So plant some trees. Seriously. Go to your local garden centre, get 4 or 5 trees, and stick 'em in the ground. When someone asks you why, tell them, 'I'm saving the planet. What's YOUR superpower?'

Boru
(February 29, 2024 at 2:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Boru

My town has doubled in population since we moved here in 2006.  This used to be country.  There was a road that I drove to get to the office once a week that was called the S-Curve.  It was one of the prettiest places left.  The road was so tightly tree-lined that it was like driving through a tunnel.  There was often a herd of cattle near the end of it grazing that were unlike any I had seen before...two colors...one big white band all the way around them like a belt.  It was my favorite part of the drive.  Of course, they closed it recently, are removing most of the trees and straightening and widening it.  Bastards.  The local Facebook pages are always lit up with people fussing about the demolition of that beautiful little stretch of road.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Even farmers are doing what they can:

[Image: 428644213_7132486150121219_2824975396586...e=65E514F7]

Boru
(February 29, 2024 at 9:56 am)Leonardo17 Wrote:     At the state in which thing are in the present moment, this is mainly understood as a very promising technology for the future at best and a technique of greenwashing that is being used by big oil companies at worst.

At it's very best it's greenwashing, more likely it's a criminal scam. Thunderfoot did a video on CCS a few months ago demonstrating that it would never break even on an energy basis, i.e. that you would always expend more energy capturing the carbon than was used to create it in the first place. For such a mature process, the gas industry has been using it since at least the seventies, it has never once come close to what is constantly been promised that it can do.

Much better to invest the money in lower emission energy generation instead, ie nuclear and renewables (not burning wood).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(February 29, 2024 at 2:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Even farmers are doing what they can:

[Image: 428644213_7132486150121219_2824975396586...e=65E514F7]

Boru

I think androids dream of those!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowering your carbon footprint onlinebiker 21 1237 November 30, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Agriculture, Climate Change and Carbon Sequestration The Grand Nudger 4 1638 August 4, 2012 at 4:13 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Even more carbon from permafrost popeyespappy 2 1053 December 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: paintpooper