Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We don't belong here.
We don't belong here.
To live on earth, humans must adapt to it.
We literally have nothing natural that allow us to naturally survive the conditions of earth.

1-To survive the cold, we wear "the hide of other creatures" that  already exist on earth.
2-To eat, we must consume organisms that already exist on earth.
3-To move, we must have energy. Energy comes from eating.
4-To consume life on a big scale to survive, we must use organisms or materials already existing on earth. Imagine skinning a sheep with bare hands.
5-Life kills us. Science proved that we are being pressured by an invisible force called "Atmospheric pressure".

We don't belong. It's like we came from outside of this place.

We don't belong. And the more we invent reasons to belong; the more we get a severe sickness called "depression".
RE: We don't belong here.
(November 27, 2018 at 10:24 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: To live on earth, humans must adapt to it.
We literally have nothing natural that allow us to naturally survive the conditions of earth.

1-To survive the cold, we wear "the hide of other creatures" that  already exist on earth.
2-To eat, we must consume organisms that already exist on earth.
4-To consume life on a big scale to survive, we must use organisms or materials already existing on earth. Imagine skinning a sheep with bare hands.
5-Life kills us. Science proved that we are being pressured by an invisible force called "Atmospheric pressure".

We don't belong. It's like we came from outside of this place.

We don't belong. And the more we invent reasons to belong; the more we get a severe sickness called "depression".

We don't belong on Mercury either. 

It isn't that we do or don't belong here, but merely how evolution played out. If the meteor that killed off the dinosaurs had not hit, evolution could have easily taken a different path not involving our species.

We are an invasive destructive species. But we are also capable of great curiosity and compassion in problem solving. 

We are not good at being cockroaches or penguins, but we are good at being humans. It is still up to humanity how we adapt mainly with our own interactions and resource management.
(November 27, 2018 at 10:24 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: To live on earth, humans must adapt to it.
.............................................................................?

Quote:1-To survive the cold, we wear "the hide of other creatures" that  already exist on earth.
To survive the cold, we are endothermic homeotherms (your comments about food and energy below apply here), and wear our skins.  To exceed the boundaries of the environment for which we evolved we make use of the skins (and tissues) of other, perfectly natural organisms.  There is literally nothing unnatural about cold adaptation or clothing.  

Quote:2-To eat, we must consume organisms that already exist on earth.
Sounds like the definition of natural to me, yet again.

Quote:3-To move, we must have energy. Energy comes from eating.
See above.

Quote:4-To consume life on a big scale to survive, we must use organisms or materials already existing on earth. Imagine skinning a sheep with bare hands.
 See above, again.

Quote:We don't belong. It's like we came from outside of this place.
Sounds to me like we came from this place and use other things from this place to achieve things on this place.  At what point any of this became other than natural in your mind is a mystery.

Quote:We don't belong. And the more we invent reasons to belong; the more we get a severe sickness called "depression".
Which is, also...as far as we can tell..a natural consequence of chemistry.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Of course we take resources already on earth. Just like every other living thing. Why would that factor into the idea that we don't belong here? We belong as much as any other ape on the planet. We do need tools to go where we want, and do what we want. Given how advanced our brains are, that's just utilizing our greatest strength. On the surface it can feel like we're so different from everything else in the world, but if you look deep enough, you'll find we're really not that different at all from other mammals.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 27, 2018 at 10:31 am)Brian37 Wrote: We don't belong on Mercury either. 

It isn't that we do or don't belong here, but merely how evolution played out. If the meteor that killed off the dinosaurs had not hit, evolution could have easily taken a different path not involving our species.

We are an invasive destructive species. But we are also capable of great curiosity and compassion in problem solving. 

We are not good at being cockroaches or penguins, but we are good at being humans. It is still up to humanity how we adapt.

The huge number of planets that we can't survive on is another indication that we weren't made for this place at all.
We can't live in space without using materials already taken from earth, we can't live on earth either without materials taken from earth. We can't even be monkeys or gorillas.

The meteor that hit this place is in itself a heavenly sign to me: did God sent it on purpose so we grow instead of the dinosaurs?
We're more than capable of surviving in bands in the environments we're most adapted to. We could live like chimps if we had to, eating grubs and berries in a topical forest or savannah with rocks and sticks our only tools, like other great apes. Being human, we'd soon be improving on what we have so we can support our increasing numbers. It would be a hard life at first, but life ain't easy for chimps, either.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 27, 2018 at 10:42 am)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(November 27, 2018 at 10:31 am)Brian37 Wrote: We don't belong on Mercury either. 

We are not good at being cockroaches or penguins, but we are good at being humans. It is still up to humanity how we adapt.

The huge number of planets that we can't survive on is another indication that we weren't made for this place at all.
The huge number of planets we can't survive on, juxtaposed against the one that we can..and do....indicates to you that we -aren't- "made for this place"?

..............really?  

Wouldn't that be more indicative of the fact that we weren't "made for" any of those other places, but were..... in fact, "made for" this one?  

Quote:We can't live in space without using materials already taken from earth, we can't live on earth either without materials taken from earth. We can't even be monkeys or gorillas.
 We can live on earth without any of the things you mentioned (clothes, as a specific example), and did, for hundreds of thousands of years. Billions, counting all previous iterations.

Quote:The meteor that hit this place is in itself a heavenly sign to me: did God sent it on purpose so we grow instead of the dinosaurs?
Yeah, yeah..but what isn't a heavenly sign to you, lol? Though, one has to wonder why the heavens fucked up with dinosaurs in the first place, and had to exterminate them. Maybe the earth was "made for" them, and we're the happy inheritors of a cosmic screwup? Hell, right now...it may actually be the planet of the birds or beetles. Or maybe it's the planet of the flowers..cleverly using us and so many other animals as a means to spread their genetics everywhere and dominate the landscape. They've been huge winners in the extinction lottery, since the death of the dinos specifically.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 27, 2018 at 10:24 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: 1-To survive the cold, we wear "the hide of other creatures" that  already exist on earth.

No. We wear clothes to be comfortable. Personally I enjoy a naked hike in the mountains in the wind and rain.

(November 27, 2018 at 10:24 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: 2-To eat, we must consume organisms that already exist on earth.

Same as the rest of life on Earth.
(November 27, 2018 at 10:42 am)AtlasS33 Wrote:

We can't live in space without using materials already taken from earth, we can't live on earth either without materials taken from earth. We can't even be monkeys or gorillas.

The meteor that hit this place is in itself a heavenly sign to me: did God sent it on purpose so we grow instead of the dinosaurs?

Um  no, this is simply bad logic. And for the reasons I stated.

This is the same bad "razor's edge" logic Christians use too.

The water bear, look it up, has survived all 5 mass extinction events in our planet's 4 billion year history. Trying to claim we are the apple of the eye of some cosmic sky wizard is absurd. There are far more species in life that are more suited to survive another mass extinction event. Our sun will die at some point thus killing our planet and all life on it regardless. But, it is 100% certain to scientists by the time the sun dies, our species will be long gone due to our own self inflicted demise and or another planetary/cosmic event. We are finite as a species. Cockroaches and the water bear are far more suited to survive a global extinction event than humans.

I think our existence is unique and amazing too, and certainly rare considering the vastness of the universe. But I don't see any magic in it, or some cosmic string puller doing it.
Quote:We don't belong.

Incorrect.  We evolved to live in this environment.  No gods needed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7833 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus