Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
origins...
origins...
of humor, particularly sarcasm. Not sure if this would go under philosophy, bet we can discuss this here.

Well I do believe sarcasm requires some display of higher brain functionality, because people that struggle with theory of mind do struggle with sarcasm (both interpreting and using it), but what is is and where does it come from. Well commonly sarcasm is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I also believe actions strongly determine thoughts and feelings. Repetitively doing something does more to solidify future behaviors like training yourself out of bad habits. I also believe in confirmation bias in that we see what we want to see, and that emotions (or emotionally charged issues) or deeply held beliefs increase the potency of the effect.

Humor has several theories as to it's purpose and origins:
There's the superiority theory: laughter devalues an object in it's subjects eyes, usually only solid when there are 2 sides/audience. Slapstick or laughing at yourself doing something stupid aren't really part of the theory.

There's the relief theory: personal pressure relief like the mechanical valve. Herbert Spencer posits "Feeling passing a certain pitch habitually vents itself in bodily action . When we are angry, for example, nervous energy produces small aggressive movements such as clenching our fists; and if the energy reaches a certain level, we attack the offending person. 

Another common one is incongruity theory: It is the perception of something incongruous, or more succienctly when our expectations don't match our experience.

That being said let's posit some other traits of sarcasm:
-Since the definition is to mock or convey negative emotions, isn't that a type of bullying? Was anybody ever mocked in school?
-OK let's say it's intent isn't to get a better position on your opponent or for your side let's say it's just for SaG. If it is a release of nervous energy or an incongruity with your expectations, then some belief has caused enough cognitive dissonance in you to react
-In starting off multiple conversations with sarcasm for instance, that shows that you have a metric shit ton of discomfort at the subject and are either deflecting or positioning.
-The act of repeated sarcasm actually amplifies and solidifies future behaviors like you're trying to convince yourself out of a belief, I believe the phrase is "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: origins...
Quote:Well commonly sarcasm is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

I've been known to employ it!
nah.. not you min. Your clickbate was one of the reasons for my return. Tongue
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

Quote:Well I do believe sarcasm requires some display of higher brain functionality, 

Oh, DO you? Do you REALLY?  😉

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
No actually I do, I made feel it’s a little performer of humor. It does really require a fluent theory of mind especially to do well, more than read. Growing up in working around a lot of mentally handicapped kids, they struggled with social memes and sarcasm the most.

Going to need this. [Image: sarcasm.gif] (Animated at the source.)
"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions," Thomas Jefferson.

It is false to assume all blasphemy, humor or sarcasm is a form of bullying. 

If one is talking about using sarcasm as an oppressed minority it is a way of coping, not bullying. 

But in family situations or friends or co workers, teasing is a form of endearment, not bullying. 

Bullying is when you are in a position of power, and the victim has no way to walk away from the situation and they are using their position as a form of satisfying their need for power over others. 

Ridicule, " Gabriel put on a Barry White Album for God and told Mary he was in the mood."  

Bullying, " Christians have no right to challenge the existence of Allah in Saudi Arabia."

Friendly teasing, " Rubber Ducky's Cowchips can bite me, my Skins will get them next year."

So please know the difference between responding to an absurd claim, oppression and bullying, and friendly teasing. 

"There is no such thing as a magic baby with super powers". Is only offensive to those who don't want to consider they got it wrong. 

If you get to go to sleep at night without fear of physical harm every night, then the only thing you are getting is offended. That is not insecurity on our part or deflecting on our part. It is why I also say, I refuse l to blindly swallow old mythology just because it sounds good to some. But nobody is going to barbecue your kittens or rape your women.

I think you merely want to paint us as the bad guy merely because we wont play your game.
I don't understand what this thread is about.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It about one page so far.
(December 1, 2018 at 8:22 am)wyzas Wrote: I don't understand what this thread is about.

Coded language hiding behind a "discussion" in order to falsely play victim. 

He wants to claim some here are "discomfort" when what we are doing is merely rejecting bad claims. 

He wants to use "deflecting" and falsely accuse us of using our sarcasm trying to paint us as in denial.