Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery
More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery
Do you smart guys out there believe that we can ever know why photons act this way?
It seems like we haven't made great progress in unravelling this dilemma in a very long time ...
Maybe we can never see the true picture while we're analyzing this stuff from the same space time ...
A bit like trying to imagine an 8 dimensional object from our 3 dimensional world.

No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery
Sorry, but I'm not going to watch a 17 minute video in order to attempt to divine what it is you're referring to here. If you can put it in words, maybe I might have a response.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 2, 2018 at 10:37 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Sorry, but I'm not going to watch a 17 minute video in order to attempt to divine what it is you're referring to here. If you can put it in words, maybe I might have a response.

Humans dumb, photons smart.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 2, 2018 at 2:47 am)ignoramus Wrote: Do you smart guys out there believe that we can ever know why photons act this way?
It seems like we haven't made great progress in unravelling this dilemma in a very long time ...
Maybe we can never see the true picture while we're analyzing this stuff from the same space time ...
A bit like trying to imagine an 8 dimensional object from our 3 dimensional world.

One of my math profs told me that if one can reason in 3 dimensions, one can reason in higher ones. I'll look at this video later. I've had a shit day dealing with my wife and her mother (who is in a nursing home) and I ain't up to doing much but vegetating at this point.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It's very fascinating fireball. It truly is mind boggling...

Girls, I hope you haven't been sneaking out of the kitchen! Get back in there at once! Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
QM is for sure the most interesting thing in the Universe. This stuff is very much responsible for my being agnostic, for the idealism and subjective positions I take, and so on.

Have you studied the quantum eraser effect? That's another really good one.
It's nice that this video made a subtle suggestion at 3:11
Well not too subtle

The thing is our occasionalism theologians like Ghazali already proposed this idea in the medieval times, we are just discovering a hint of it in the quantum world.
A "hidden variable" controls and manipulates the behavior of sub atomic particles.

Then there are virtual particles that pop in and out of existence. All of this is theoretical and as the video suggested we simply don't have the tools, knowledge, ability or even imagination to understand these things.
What's interesting about this is that it has a direct classical explanation in terms of light being a transverse wave with two degrees of freedom along the transverse axis.

In other words, light is, in general, a polarized wave.

As such, this was understood via Maxwell's equations with no difficulty whatsoever.

Where things get strange is that quantum theory now describes light as *both* a wave and a particle--either description is valid. But the photon is a *quantum* particle that is polarized perpendicular to the direction of movement.

Being a quantum particle, it does not have definite properties prior to observation: it has probabilities of having those properties.

In your demonstration, those probability waves (like the classical waves) interfer and produce this effect.

We *do* understand this phenomenon in a great deal of detail. the problems come in when a demand is made based on *classical* assumptions of how particles must act. Classical physics is wrong: quantum mechanics is the proper theory to use here (although classical electromagnetic theory works well in this case--it isn't a particle description).
I imagine if Ever was not kick out she would come here a babble about her Quatum cockroach's and how vibrations in the brain proves souls exist and start prattling on about Penrose quantum conscience nonsense
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 5, 2018 at 9:00 am)Cherub786 Wrote: It's nice that this video made a subtle suggestion at 3:11
Well not too subtle

The thing is our occasionalism theologians like Ghazali already proposed this idea in the medieval times, we are just discovering a hint of it in the quantum world.
A "hidden variable" controls and manipulates the behavior of sub atomic particles.

Then there are virtual particles that pop in and out of existence. All of this is theoretical and as the video suggested we simply don't have the tools, knowledge, ability or even imagination to understand these things.

Wrong. It's known that no hidden variable theory can produce as good or better predictions than standard quantum theory to a high degree of confidence.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3531 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1812 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2693 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  Quantum tunnelling for space travel... Iroscato 8 2915 November 22, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Question about Quantum Eraser bennyboy 28 4056 September 4, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why Does Quantum Physics Make Scientistss Uncomfortable? Rhondazvous 12 2355 August 12, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning TubbyTubby 8 2349 March 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm
  Paul Rudd vs Stephen Hawking - Quantum Chess Heat 1 1206 January 28, 2016 at 4:48 pm
  Quantum Physics: Questions logicalreason 22 6015 August 11, 2014 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Tobie
  Quantum Vacuum Fluctuations - The Basics little_monkey 0 855 July 14, 2014 at 5:34 am
Last Post: little_monkey