Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness"
I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness"
If I am totally wrong let me know. I have just been learning about the early universe and quantum physics and it has just been consuming my thoughts. I'm going to use very simple and general language that is meant to convey an idea, not anything specific. I don't know accurate science terms, so please excuse the ignorance.

I imagine the universe before the big bang as just a ball of energy in a shell of insulation. As the energy moved around, it became more volatile. The energy began working in pairs to push and pull against the insulation. One day, the insulation cracked and the energy was able to burst out. But when it burst out of the shell, it destroyed the insulator.

At this point, the energy had 2 basic functions, positive and negative. The positive forces pulled the negative forces one way and vice versa. The result being a huge tug of war. The positive force, was able to constrain the negative force at a constant speed of pulling, which is the speed of light.

In the middle of these two forces, the quantum particles join with like particles and create the stars, planets, galaxies and everything in between. This is where I have my layman's theory about quantum physics... I have heard the illustration of there being an invisible fabric that is gravity. What if the tug of war between positive and negative charges, has led to "tearing" in the spacetime fabric. These tears are very very minute, but particles that are small enough can travel through the tears and transport themselves to a far away place, while seemingly just zapping there like a Star Trek machine.

Could this explain the "spookiness" of quantum physics? Is it possible that this also explains why scientist think they observe light as a wave when doing the double split experiment? Maybe the light photons, are just simply particles, but since they have an ability to travel in quantum wormholes, they seem to behave as waves? It just baffles me that when they're being observed, they act only as particles.

I hope this makes at least a little sense. Science is so amazing, and I'm grateful that I'm finally immersing myself in it
RE: I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness"
I'm not sure I can square your characterization of the big bang as stuff being released explosively from a shell in an explosive fashion with what I know about cosmology. But getting to your main point - how would particles travelling through wormholes cause quantum spookiness? Remember that quantum entanglement doesn't facilitate faster than light communication.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I thought it did?
Didn't they do an experiment where the other entangled partner changed instantly? Irrespective of distance?
Maybe I'm thinking of something else as well?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 2, 2017 at 4:49 am)ignoramus Wrote: I thought it did?
Didn't they do an experiment where the other entangled partner changed instantly? Irrespective of distance?
Maybe I'm thinking of something else as well?

That's the brainfuckety thing about quantum mechanics, you can show pretty convincingly via the measured violation of Bell's inequalties that entanglement is essentially a nonlocal phenomenom, yet nature conspires to prevent us from using this nonlocality to transmit information, basically by scrambling everything with randomness...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

So ....... it's a solid who the fuck knows, maybe?
It does one's head in...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 2, 2017 at 5:04 am)ignoramus Wrote: So ....... it's a solid who the fuck knows, maybe?
It does one's head in...

Yes, I'd say so. The problem seems to be that we don't know which interpretation of quantum mechanics is correct, if any, so all we know is that quantum shit looks random, but we don't know how this randomness arises or whether it is only an illusion created by underlying "hidden variables".

For example, in Bohmian Quantum Mechanics, the positions of all particles are actually defined exactly and there is no true randomness, only classical randomness which is created by our lack of information about the microscopic configurations of everything, and the effects of chaos. If there is entanglement, in Bohmian mechanics all entangled particles do influence the movement of all other particles instantaneously, but the underlying randomness of their positions prevents us from simply transmitting information. If one knew exactly the positions of these point particles, it might be possible within this theory to use entanglement to transmit information. However, Bohmian mechanics is difficult to integrate with Relativity anyways, so who knows how exactly the full theory would work.

In the "Many Worlds" Everett interpretation, you as the observer become entangled with everything else when you make a measurement, and the different versions of you will have measured all the possible outcomes - but since each individual copy of you didn't know in which time line it would end up, this creates the impression of randomness which for all practical purposes erases any information that one might have transmitted via entanglement.

Is that "many worlds" theory connected to the string/ multiverse theory? Surely they're the same?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 2, 2017 at 6:49 am)ignoramus Wrote: Is that "many worlds" theory connected to the string/ multiverse theory? Surely they're the same?

They are separate, complementary concepts which can occur separately or jointly. The String Theory multiverse includes many different regions of space created e.g. by many pockets of cosmoc inflation, possibly with different laws of physics. Many worlds quantum mechanics posits that within universe, reality splits up whenever a "random" decision at the quantum level occurs, and there are a set of parallel realities in which all possible results of that particular process occur.

Where's tonylang when you need him?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 2, 2017 at 2:38 am)Alex K Wrote: I'm not sure I can square your characterization of the big bang as stuff being released explosively from a shell in an explosive fashion with what I know about cosmology. But getting to your main point - how would particles travelling through wormholes cause quantum spookiness? Remember that quantum entanglement doesn't facilitate faster than light communication.

I only use the word "spookiness" the same way a scientist does. Not ascribing anything supernatural to it, just that it doesn't make sense that it happens. The thought I am having is that there are tiny pockets where gravity doesn't have a hold, but those pockets are only accessible to the tiniest particles. So what we perceive as a particles transporting without movement, is just our inability to detect these micro anti-gravity pockets. Does that even make sense?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does God have in common with String Theory? LinuxGal 2 756 December 30, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3527 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Physics Puzzle onlinebiker 32 2001 July 21, 2020 at 4:07 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Physics questions ignoramus 21 1859 May 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery ignoramus 20 2783 December 9, 2018 at 6:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1812 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Physics of Guinness thesummerqueen 23 7439 September 2, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1589 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 649 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  When and Where did the Atomic Theory Come From? Rhondazvous 29 9262 May 13, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye