Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut the cable, what now for the coax?
Cut the cable, what now for the coax?
Any systems out there for using coax cables for wifi? I have coax from the cable days right by my router but have no idea if it can be used to wire into the wifi system.

Please assume I know next to nothing about this kind of thing. Thx.
RE: Cut the cable, what now for the coax?
That' s sorta like asking - "can I use this air line for SCUBA diving??"
(December 29, 2018 at 10:35 am)onlinebiker Wrote: That' s sorta like asking - "can I use this air line for SCUBA diving??"

I'm sure that made sense to you. Think
(December 29, 2018 at 10:38 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(December 29, 2018 at 10:35 am)onlinebiker Wrote: That' s sorta like asking - "can I use this air line for SCUBA diving??"

I'm sure that made sense to you.  Think

The point of SCUBA ( self contained underwater breathing apparatus) is to eliminate the airline ( previously used by all divers).

Extrapolate ...

WIFI is wireless...

See the point?
Faster data transfer with a cable.

I was thinking "use the coax to replace wifi", but that didn't translate to the page.

Ah! Found it.
Buying an adapter doesn't seem to make sense. You can get 50' of ethernet cable for $10 and that's simpler and doesn't require an adapter.

Donate that shit to Goodwill.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 29, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Buying an adapter doesn't seem to make sense.  You can get 50' of ethernet cable for $10 and that's simpler and doesn't require an adapter.

The coax is already in place, and I'm not flexible enough to run new line. The lan cable would have to go through the floor in the office, through the walls in the basement twice and then up into the living room. As I don't want to put more holes in the floor I'd have to move two large and fully loaded bookcases to get to the same hole.
(December 29, 2018 at 12:35 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(December 29, 2018 at 12:26 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Buying an adapter doesn't seem to make sense.  You can get 50' of ethernet cable for $10 and that's simpler and doesn't require an adapter.

The coax is already in place, and I'm not flexible enough to run new line. The lan cable would have to go through the floor in the office, through the walls in the basement twice and then up into the living room. As I don't want to put more holes in the floor I'd have to move two large and fully loaded bookcases to get to the same hole.

Fair enough. Do you have bandwidth needs that aren't met by WiFi?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The Firestick in the living room seems to be uncertain about the current connectivity establishment. That set is as far from the router as you can get here and still be indoors. If that doesn't resolve I want to up the game.
It depends on the impedance of the cable, 50 ohm or 75 ohm, no idea what cable tv uses
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!