Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you cope with extremely insistent people?
How do you cope with extremely insistent people?
Do you have someone close to you, who insists so much that you should do something you really don't want to do? What if they don't agree to disagree and you're not dependent on them? 
I find it easier to end the conversation if the insistent person is not polite, because I could end the conversation by pointing out they're disrespecting me. But if they're polite, how could I end the conversation? Should I just tell them I don't wanna talk about the subject anymore every time they bring it up? Should I leave?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: How do you cope with extremely insistent people?
Undress.

It works on all but the most dedicated proselytizers.

But - if you' re really having a bad run of luck - they may strip too....

Doh
(January 12, 2019 at 8:54 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Do you have someone close to you, who insists so much that you should do something you really don't want to do? What if they don't agree to disagree and you're not dependent on them? 
I find it easier to end the conversation if the insistent person is not polite, because I could end the conversation by pointing out they're disrespecting me. But if they're polite, how could I end the conversation? Should I just tell them I don't wanna talk about the subject anymore every time they bring it up? Should I leave?

Brass knuckles and pepper spray, or lighter fluid and matches.

In all seriousness, there is no simple answer because only you can judge what you are willing to tolerate and not tolerate. It doesn't have to turn into a war, no, and you can find a way to end it politely. But you also are entitled express your position. 

Consider it a cost benefit. If it is minor and isn't causing you so much discomfort, you can simply let it go. But if it is persistent and it is not something you like having repeated to you constantly, you have every right, to request they stop. None of your interactions have to be a war.

It can go something like this.

Person A, "I think you should do X"

You, " I don't want to do X"

Person A, " Bu bu bu".

You, " Look, you've offered before, I like/love you, but like I said, that is not my thing. You can if you want to, but it would make me happy if you not ask me again."
A stroke across the larynx with the back of sword quietens them down nice. Well, after some preliminary funny sounds.
(January 12, 2019 at 10:09 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: A stroke across the larynx with the back of sword quietens them down nice. Well, after some preliminary funny sounds.

Geeze, now I have to ask, is my cell phone number still in your call log? Not sure if I want to visit you now.  Razz
Start mocking them with the "echo" game. Repeat everything they say back to them.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 12, 2019 at 1:58 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 12, 2019 at 10:09 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: A stroke across the larynx with the back of sword quietens them down nice. Well, after some preliminary funny sounds.

Geeze, now I have to ask, is my cell phone number still in your call log? Not sure if I want to visit you now.  Razz

You're at least three points below that response.
Der/Die, you need assertiveness training. I'm sure such classes will be available at you uni.

You are basically being bullied and you really need to put an end to it. Your life is your life and you need to get comfortable telling people that in no uncertain terms.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(January 12, 2019 at 5:08 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: Der/Die, you need assertiveness training. I'm sure such classes will be available at you uni.

You are basically being bullied and you really need to put an end to it. Your life is your life and you need to get comfortable telling people that in no uncertain terms.

What? So you are saying nuclear war is not an option? You take all the fun out of it.
(January 12, 2019 at 8:54 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: Do you have someone close to you, who insists so much that you should do something you really don't want to do? What if they don't agree to disagree and you're not dependent on them? 

"I have to pee" and never come back.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my experience as non reilgous living in saudi arabia (extremely religious country) hourglass 9 890 December 13, 2019 at 7:43 am
Last Post: viocjit