Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install APT-GET or YUM or RPM or something similar on Linpus?
How to install APT-GET or YUM or RPM or something similar on Linpus?
Hey, guys!
So, I am somewhat in trouble. I've just bought a new Acer Nitro laptop. It comes with Linpus Linux (I expected it to come with a GUI version, but apparently it doesn't).
So, the WLAN drivers apparently aren't working ("ifconfig" doesn't detect them). I've managed to connect it to the Internet using the LAN cable, and "wget" works. However, if I try to use "apt-get" or "yum" or "rpm" or "svn" or "git" or, as far as I am aware of, anything else that's normally used in installing Linux programs, I get "command not found". It's not that I simply don't have privileges to run those tools, "whoami" command prints "root". They aren't present either anywhere in "$PATH" nor in "/sbin/" nor in "/usr/sbin/".
The "tar" also appears not to support the "J" option (to open "xz" files). "fdisk -l" also doesn't appear to be able to detect my USB stick.
I've tried to install APT-GET by downloading a ".sh" script via WGET that allegedly does that. However, that script (apart from taking over an hour to download) appears to rely on JRE to be pre-installed, which it isn't. I've tried to install Java for Linux. If I try to install the 64-bit version of Java for Linux using "wget", I get the "can't execute a binary file" error (which is surprising to me, since that laptop has 8 GB RAM, so of course it has to come with a 64-bit Linux pre-installed, right?). If I try to install the 32-bit version, I get some unintelligible error messages about how there is some "dl error" (whatever that meant) and how it can't handle some TLS requests because of that (makes no sense to me whatsoever). GCC or CLANG, of course, also aren't available, not even "as" or "ld" is. 32-bit FlatAssembler, for example, appears to work, but it's of little use to me now.
I believe I would be able to install the drivers I need and the GUI if I manage to get APT-GET (or something similar) to work. Any idea how?

I've planned to install Windows XP on that laptop in case the pre-installed operating system doesn't work well, because I happen to have a copy of Windows XP on a CD and a USB CD-ROM drive (which I also use for my 5-year-old MacAir). However, if I try to install Windows XP on that laptop, I get a BSOD when I try to format the hard-drive, and Windows XP can't be installed on a Linux file system.
RE: How to install APT-GET or YUM or RPM or something similar on Linpus?
At this point, you'd be better off installing a more mainstream distro like Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora.
Also XP probably won't work well if at all on modern hardware.
I would install Mint ASAP.

AFAIK Linpus ships with yum. Not sure why you don't have access to it.

run `which yum` to see if the package exists for sure, but if not, I'm not sure Linpus is worth it. Ubuntu/Mint is what I'd recommend.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I've installed Oracle Linux. It works quite well. However, DosBox (which I used often) fails to run because I don't seem to be able to install SDL. I've planned to run my favorite Windows programs using WINE, however, I can't. Namely, the WINE's WOW64 (required to run 32-bit Windows apps on 64-bit Linux) doesn't work on Oracle Linux, and there appears to be no workaround. Too bad, almost none of my favorite Windows apps (not even FlatAssembler) have 64-bit versions. I've therefore installed Oracle's VirtualBox. Most of my Windows apps work well in it, however one of my Windows apps doesn't run well with only 128 MB GRAM (which is the maximum VirtualBox supports, it's really... legacy). I guess I'll have to deal with that.
(January 19, 2019 at 10:47 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: I've installed Oracle Linux. It works quite well. However, DosBox (which I used often) fails to run because I don't seem to be able to install SDL. I've planned to run my favorite Windows programs using WINE, however, I can't. Namely, the WINE's WOW64 (required to run 32-bit Windows apps on 64-bit Linux) doesn't work on Oracle Linux, and there appears to be no workaround. Too bad, almost none of my favorite Windows apps (not even FlatAssembler) have 64-bit versions. I've therefore installed Oracle's VirtualBox. Most of my Windows apps work well in it, however one of my Windows apps doesn't run well with only 128 MB GRAM (which is the maximum VirtualBox supports, it's really... legacy). I guess I'll have to deal with that.

FlatAssember has a Linux version and I don't see a good reason for which you would wanna run the Windows version. The website says it supports x64, despite being an x86 app.
As for the other programs, if you try running them with Wine from the repos, most probably they won't run bc these versions of Wine are way too old. For instance, Wine in my Linux repo is version 1.6 but I use 4.0 and I'm eagerly waiting for the stable release of 4.5. This is the command with which to install the latest stable version of Wine in your system - currently that's version 4.0. IDK what that Oracle Linux is but if it's not a Debian derivative, you're gonna have to replace the correct words after "sudo" to match your distro. This command is for Debian-based distros:

Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get -y install wget && wget -qO - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main' && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable -y

Also, if some of your favorite Windows apps are games, keep reading. If not, simply ignore these last few lines.

If for whatever reason they don't run with Wine, you can try by adding them in Steam from the menu "Games" on top of the Steam window. Then go to "Library", choose "Tools" and in the long list find a tool called "Proton 4.2-2" (or newer) and download it. When it finishes downloading, open Steam settings, go to "Steam Play" and click on the two checkboxes you're gonna see there. Finally, click on the drop-down menu and select "Proton 4.2-2". With this last setting you'll force this Proton version for all the games on Steam that don't have native Linux versions. If it's a Windows game, it will run with Proton 4.2-2. GTA 5 runs quite fine with Proton on Steam, altough with the CPU I have I'll have to wait a little longer for Proton updates cuz I don't get the same performance I used to get in Windows with the same CPU.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
I find Mint is hard to beat, works well for me
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(April 9, 2019 at 10:33 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I find Mint is hard to beat, works well for me

For me too but I don't like the direction where Mint 19 is going. Has too many problems - more than any other Mint before that ever had and considering none of them has been fixed yet, looks like Mint 19 won't be what everyone hoped. I'm using 18.3 right now which has none of the problems 19 has and if Clem and Company don't succeed in fixing Mint 19 until April 2021, looks like I'll have to migrate to Fedora or Arch. Which I hope I won't have to do cuz Mint is the closest to my Heart .
What sort of problems are you having, I'm using 19.1 and it's... Mint.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(April 11, 2019 at 3:25 am)Succubus Wrote: What sort of problems are you having, I'm using 19.1 and it's... Mint.

Mostly missing options from aplets. Options that are present in 18.3 but in 19.1 are simply not there. For instance - Cinnamenu. In 18.3 I can choose what height the menu to have, whereas in 19.1 I can't because everything below the yellow line is missing.

[Image: 2019-04-14-01-19-25.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2164 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  rooted my android to install modded spotify Marsellus Wallace 11 2481 April 10, 2016 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: bennyboy