Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You can do it" marketing.......
"You can do it" marketing.......
This post was a response to watching the Patriots/Chief's pregame show, and how they always show the cliche "defying the odds". No, it isn't impossible, and people do defy the odds. 

It isn't saying one should not dream, or chase their dreams. But I really do get a lip twitch when that kind of marketing never talks about the odds of getting to the top of anything, be it business, or music, or comedy, or acting, or sports. Nobody should begrudge someone who makes it. I have seen lots of historical people who move up whom I am happy for. 

But the truth is the math is not there for everyone to end up on top. There will always be more who end up in the lower two classes, and if lucky  manage to pay their bills and save for retirement. 

I think far too much of humanity gets sold the idea that if you don't end up on top, you have failed. I have long since hated that marketing knowing that for every person on top, there are countless more people, the person who ended on top had help getting there.

The world has enough rich and famous people. What the world needs now more than ever is stability for those who won't defy the odds. And again, it isn't begrudging success, but merely saying that every job matters and while trying is fine, and dreaming is fine, it still has to be done in a pragmatic way so that those who don't reach the top, don't feel like they are worth less. 

Most humans will not become Bill Gates. Most humans will not become Angelina Jolie. Most humans will not become Joe Montana. Most people will not become JFK or MLK. But everyone of them, had countless others who educated them, and supported them whom without, they would not be the the people we remember.

Try yes, please do. Who knows? But too much of marketing ignores the math.
RE: "You can do it" marketing.......
At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Italian proverb
(January 20, 2019 at 8:08 pm)no one Wrote: At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Italian proverb

Damn, never heard that one before, but love it. Clap

One thing though, that is still language from the age of kings which the world does not need more of.

But, it is still the same intent of Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" speech. 

I agree. It is also why I cant understand the outrageous gap in price between first class and coach. Mind you, I don't mind a bit of difference, but today it is fucking absurd when you know everyone on the plane takes off and lands at the same time.
Yes, but Ahi costs more than Sardines.
(January 20, 2019 at 8:44 pm)no one Wrote: Yes, but Ahi costs more than Sardines.

You only say that because you don't understand the effects of retrograde rotation on the Dutch tulip market.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I think my understanding of it has flowered pretty well.
Brian, could you show us on the doll where marketers/advertisers hurt you?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It's the type of advertisements that pretend to be sending a bigger message that grind my gears. Much like the Gillette ad preaching about sexism.

It's like, yea, do I believe people should work hard, try to defy the odds and follow their dreams? Yes. That sounds awesome! But when the message is coming from Toyota, or some other equally self-interested multi-national corpoation, all I have to say is. "No thank you."

Advertising is a reality of the world we live in, but jeez, don't bullshit me while you're bullshitting me. Just try to sell me the thing and then let's move on. Please.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(January 21, 2019 at 12:51 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Brian, could you show us on the doll where marketers/advertisers hurt you?

Way to marginalize the working class. Stating what more people need to know isn't playing victim.

I am old enough to remember the cost of living during Reagan and what it is now. If I was against the private sector I'd say that, now please go back to my OP and find out where I said I was against the private sector. I am not against success either. 

But sorry, if marketing didn't work nothing would sell at all. 

Maybe you need to show everyone here where the working class touched you?
(January 22, 2019 at 7:44 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 21, 2019 at 12:51 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Brian, could you show us on the doll where marketers/advertisers hurt you?

Way to marginalize the working class. Stating what more people need to know isn't playing victim.

I am old enough to remember the cost of living during Reagan and what it is now. If I was against the private sector I'd say that, now please go back to my OP and find out where I said I was against the private sector. I am not against success either. 

But sorry, if marketing didn't work nothing would sell at all. 

Maybe you need to show everyone here where the working class touched you?

I am working class; you twit.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Peeves with commercial marketing. Brian37 17 1648 July 30, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  How many pillows do you sleep with, how do you use them & which can't you do without? Whateverist 31 2227 September 29, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Joods
  Any Marketing Experts in the House? Rhondazvous 0 512 September 4, 2017 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  You think you guys can help me out with a paper (of all religions/non-religion)? Annik 7 2601 August 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If they can't get you at home they'll mail their shit to you! binny 11 4327 October 21, 2009 at 3:25 am
Last Post: fr0d0