Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do the religious hate evolution?
Why do the religious hate evolution?
I'm very confused about this, but I have a question: why are Muslims against evolution?

If we look at the studies of DNA and human ancestory; it actually points very clearly to a "common ancestor" that would make the story of Adam & Eve even more probable; it also points to "other creatures" that share human traits like the infamous "gog and magog", arent's chimps our brothers?.

Without DNA and DNA studies; these stories about "Adam and Eve, gog and magog" would be mere ink on paper. Evolution actually supports religions like Islam; not going against it.

One important stop we can stop at, is the time humanity lost its "skin cover" after eating from a mysterious fruit; mentioned in the Quran:

Quote:Sura 20, The Quran:

Sahih International

(121) And Adam and his wife ate of it, and their private parts became apparent to them, and they began to fasten over themselves from the leaves of Paradise. And Adam disobeyed his Lord and erred.

We know that certain diets cause mutations to human genes as the time goes by. In fact even skin color is subject to the constraints of the diet. You can lose your hair if your diet dictated so; and Adam & Eve both lost their cover when their diet included the forbidden fruit.

Now science proved this could easily happen.

The question still stands: what's wrong in saying that God's hands are -just like God himself- are not visible to us? and that evolution is the way he used to shape humanity and shape its genome?

The accuracy of God can be seen in the few differences between us and Chimps.
RE: Why do the religious hate evolution?
People think they are special. A "common ancestor", extinguishes that notion quite conclusively.
1. They get "Heaven Points" for challenging a godless doctrine.

2. They're afraid we're right.
Except evolutionary "Adam" and "Eve", unlike the Biblical Adam and Eve, weren't a couple. We also mustn't forget we (all organisms) ultimately started as single-celled prokaryotes. A single-celled prokaryote was our universal common ancestor.
And everything alive today evolved to this point. Life is a bush, not a tree.

Or, as Jehovah said, "Bring me a shrubbery!" and lo, it was so.
Evolution is observed reality.
Nearly every religion I know of adds fantasy and delusion in the form of gods or a god into their mental perception of what they believe is real.

Evolution tends to break the fantasy.
Reality has a way of doing that.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(February 17, 2019 at 8:45 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: I'm very confused about this, but I have a question: why are Muslims against evolution?

If we look at the studies of DNA and human ancestory; it actually points very clearly to a "common ancestor" that would make the story of Adam & Eve even more probable; it also points to "other creatures" that share human traits like the infamous "gog and magog", arent's chimps our brothers?.

Without DNA and DNA studies; these stories about "Adam and Eve, gog and magog" would be mere ink on paper. Evolution actually supports religions like Islam; not going against it.

One important stop we can stop at, is the time humanity lost its "skin cover" after eating from a mysterious fruit; mentioned in the Quran:

Sahih International

(121) And Adam and his wife ate of it, and their private parts became apparent to them, and they began to fasten over themselves from the leaves of Paradise. And Adam disobeyed his Lord and erred.

We know that certain diets cause mutations to human genes as the time goes by. In fact even skin color is subject to the constraints of the diet. You can lose your hair if your diet dictated so; and Adam & Eve both lost their cover when their diet included the forbidden fruit.

The question still stands: what's wrong in saying that God's hands are -just like God himself- are not visible to us? and that evolution is the way he used to shape humanity and shape its genome?

I am quite sure that you can find all sorts of science deniers in every religion, bar none. 

The problem with the world's currently still held popular religions, is that all of them were started in an age of scientific ignorance. So it isn't just Muslims, but worldwide. Humans pass down the beliefs/traditions to their children long before that youth can formulate adult critical thinking skills. 

I am also sure you can find plenty of Muslims, depending on geography, who do accept evolution. But again, the same can be said for Christians and Jews and Hindus and Buddhists, depending on the individual/family/sect.

We have tons of evolution deniers in America, and other Christians who may accept evolution, but claim God did it. I am sure you can find Muslims who accept evolution but claim Allah did it. I've had debates with Muslims on other websites that claim the Koran matches science. But again, it isn't an either or thing, nor is an acceptance or denial of a particular claim of science exclusively done by one religion. 

Every religion in the world has individuals, that when they cant convince you, attack science, and when that does not work, they try to resort to arguing science matches their holy writing/religion.

Buddhists think science matches their religion.

https://www.lionsroar.com/buddhism-scien...ersations/

But their religion is also rooted in ancient mythology. 

https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud.../1lbud.htm

Hinduism has multiple armed gods and elephant gods. But they have many that also might claim they are the seat of science.

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publicati...du-thought

Jews and Muslims and Christians all have the same head character God of the tradition of Abraham.

Jews claim science matches their religion.

http://thecenterforappliedjudaism.org/

So to Christians.

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/qu...the-bible/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ To those links above, please do not confuse those with all members of each.

Others of each of those religions, on a planet of  7 billion can and do deny science, in part while accepting other parts of science.

Even with Christians it irritates me in debate that even if they do accept evolution, they ignore that others don't or miss the point other Christians are reading the same holy book to completely deny evolution. My point is it is the same book.'

Yes there are going to be Muslims who deny evolution, and other Muslims who accept it. My point would be the same, both are still basing their beliefs on the same holy book/religion.

I'd say to any Christian, Muslim Jew, Hindu or Buddhist, that religions are all human invented constructs. Denying or accepting science still does not change that scientific method itself, IS NOT a religion, and is completely religion independent. It is why your computer works where you live, a computer in Japan works, a computer in South Africa and Australia work. It is why planes fly over Iran and Israel, and America and China.

So your question was why Muslims deny evolution? Same reason Christians do. The same reason Hindus believe in an elephant god. Because for most humans it is easier to believe a comforting lie than it is to face reality.
Evolution doesn't point to any of that, you're making things up..Atlas. Your reaction to both of those facts will neatly describe and explain their reaction.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 17, 2019 at 8:45 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: I'm very confused about this, but I have a question: why are Muslims against evolution?

Sahih International

OMG, stop trying to shoe horn science/evolution and religion together. It will never work.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 17, 2019 at 9:04 am)no one Wrote: People think they are special. A "common ancestor", extinguishes that notion quite conclusively.

Reminds me of a creationist Catholic nun who I had for a teacher during my freshman year in high school. She stated a number of times that evolutionary theory wasn't true because, "No one is going to call me a monkey!"
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientific Debate: Why I assert that Darwin's theory of evolution is false Rob216 206 36225 November 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30302 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Evolution so criticised? Brick-top 34 18236 December 16, 2008 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet