Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you responsible?
Are you responsible?
If someone steals your car - and runs over someone and kills them - are you civilly or criminally liable?

Should you be?
RE: Are you responsible?
Back to the false dichotomies.
My initial gut response to this was no. But then I started thinking about the possibility that I might be partly responsible for my car being stolen. For example, if I left the keys in the ignition while I went into the grocery store, I would immediately think that it was my fault when I came out and discovered that my car is gone. But that doesn't mean that it is entirely my fault. After all, a person doesn't have a right to steal my car just because I made it easy for them. If I found out that they killed someone with my car, I would be kicking the crap out of myself for leaving the keys in the ignition. But would I have some sort of criminal liability? Was I criminally negligent? No, I don't think so. That would open up a huge can of worms. We could become liable for no end of crazy things.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
No and no. One will likely get sued because they own the car, but the responsibility for both acts lies with the thief.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
No! And NO!
Nope. But I might be open to some legal liability if I never reported the car stolen and the person who stole it left the scene and the car. Especially if a not insignificant amount of time passed between the theft and the murder.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 17, 2019 at 11:42 am)Gawdzitlla Sama Wrote: Back to the false dichotomies.

There wasn't a false dick til you showed up.

(February 17, 2019 at 12:01 pm)Fireball Wrote: No and no. One will likely get sued because they own the car, but the responsibility for both acts lies with the thief.

You mean - no and yes and no?

To be sued, you would have to be held civilly responsible.
But there was a true dick, as the OP demonstrates.
(February 17, 2019 at 11:46 am)Yonadav Wrote: My initial gut response to this was no. But then I started thinking about the possibility that I might be partly responsible for my car being stolen. For example, if I left the keys in the ignition while I went into the grocery store, I would immediately think that it was my fault when I came out and discovered that my car is gone. But that doesn't mean that it is entirely my fault. After all, a person doesn't have a right to steal my car just because I made it easy for them. If I found out that they killed someone with my car, I would be kicking the crap out of myself for leaving the keys in the ignition. But would I have some sort of criminal liability? Was I criminally negligent? No, I don't think so. That would open up a huge can of worms.  We could become liable for no end of crazy things.

One certain industry doesn't like taking responsibility. But, Yes it would be a blunder to leave your keys in your car. But, tons of vehicles today have better anti theft technology and even GPS tracking.

But just because the criminal is ultimately responsible, does not mean  a 5 year old driving is legal. It does not mean drunk driving is legal. And nobody can drive a Monster truck 4 lanes wide,  or army tank on a public road.

And over time cars have gotten better. They have seat belts and air bags now. The trend should be to electric to help stop global warming.

Laws have to change with changing technology. Just like the internet would not work if we stuck with protecting rotary phone manufacturers.
I'm trying to remember the specifics, but there was that case where a man was at a party and his friends used his car to perform a crime (a murder, drug deal, not sure) and the owner of the car was jailed for aiding the crime even though he did not know it was going to happen.

I need to find the link for it though.