Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EVERYONE should exercise!
EVERYONE should exercise!
Something I've been talking about with friends recently is the general lack of exercise that most Americans seem to get. I think the benefits of physical exercise are well-documented, but I'd like to take a moment here in the 'Lifestyle & Personal Matters' area of the forum to talk about exercise and lifestyle.

Exercise is ABSOLUTELY instrumental in my life, and while I'm not some fitness guru or gym rat (in fact I'm often quite annoyed by those people on Instagram and other social media platforms) I definitely think that working out benefits me emotionally as well as physically. The fact is, even with suffering from Major Depressive Disorder (diagnosed by a licensed therapist), I simply feel better the days that I work up a sweat. When you work out, you become aware of your breathing and your body, and after a good session you just feel better. You get a better idea of how your body moves and feels and sweating and breathing hard actually feels good.

Exercise isn't some cure-all, and I think that needs to be stated explicitly. I've heard people tell others who suffer from depression things like, "You just to get up and exercise," which is insanely dismissive and a testament to how little people really understand about mental illness. However... as sanctimonious as it might sound... you WILL feel better. It doesn't mean you're going to stop being depressed or suddenly be cured of your schizophrenia (obviously), but I do think it can move the meter towards you having a good day and improving your self-esteem a bit.

How do you guys feel about exercise and mental/emotional health? I've personally had positive experiences and would like to hear what others think. Has it helped you? Is it totally pointless? What's your take?

I'm truly of the opinion that EVERYONE should exercise, within reason. Obviously, some physical ailments are going to prevent people from exerting themselves physically to a certain extent.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: EVERYONE should exercise!
I typically run five miles, three days a week.  If I miss a day (bad weather, injury, whatever), I feel wretched.  I do it mainly for weight control (not that weight has ever been an issue for me) because I refuse to eat properly. Never been one for physical jerks, lifting, and so on.

My wife likes to hike.  I went with her once, and I frequently covered distances of up to 100m before collapsing with apathy.  So, just the running.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 6, 2019 at 8:18 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I typically run five miles, three days a week.  If I miss a day (bad weather, injury, whatever), I feel wretched.  I do it mainly for weight control (not that weight has ever been an issue for me) because I refuse to eat properly. Never been one for physical jerks, lifting, and so on.

My wife likes to hike.  I went with her once, and I frequently covered distances of up to 100m before collapsing with apathy.  So, just the running.

Boru

Very cool! Do you think you feel like shit because you're used to doing it or do you feel like the running is what's genuinely improving your mood?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(March 6, 2019 at 10:20 am)EgoDeath Wrote:
(March 6, 2019 at 8:18 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I typically run five miles, three days a week.  If I miss a day (bad weather, injury, whatever), I feel wretched.  I do it mainly for weight control (not that weight has ever been an issue for me) because I refuse to eat properly. Never been one for physical jerks, lifting, and so on.

Boru

Very cool! Do you think you feel like shit because you're used to doing it or do you feel like the running is what's genuinely improving your mood?

Bit of both.  I've been doing it since, well, forever.  So yes, I'm used to it. But the endorphins play a large part.  I don't feel guilty if I miss a run, I just feel psychically and physically bad.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sure, people should exercise and not just cardio but also strength exercises because people that don't do strength exercises lose their lean mass, especially with age, so strength exercise is also to prevent Sarcopenia.

Also, a lot of women are afraid to do strength exercises because they think that they'll end up looking like those women bodybuilders, but that doesn't happen in real world because women don't have enough testosterone, so those women bodybuilders, who basically look like men, are actually on steroids.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 6, 2019 at 2:15 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Sure, people should exercise and not just cardio but also strength exercises because people that don't do strength exercises lose their lean mass, especially with age, so strength exercise is also to prevent Sarcopenia.

Also, a lot of women are afraid to do strength exercises because they think that they'll end up looking like those women bodybuilders, but that doesn't happen in real world because women don't have enough testosterone, so those women bodybuilders, who basically look like men, are actually on steroids.

I personally I think you can get by with just body weight exercises. Knew some guys who did some prison time where they had no access to weights or any substitution for weights, and some of those guys come out looking pretty ripped. I think you have to do an insane amount of reps compared to just having weights though.

At 6'3", 220lbs or so (depends on the day but that's where I hover), I'm pretty happy with my body and I do cardio and body weight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, so on and so forth).

Weight training isn't NECESSARY but I'd imagine it's probably quicker.
No.

Exorcism is bad for the soul.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 6, 2019 at 2:15 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Sure, people should exercise and not just cardio but also strength exercises because people that don't do strength exercises lose their lean mass, especially with age, so strength exercise is also to prevent Sarcopenia.

I get all the additional exercise I require by jumping to conclusions.

Boru
Sex is a great workout and my personal favorite. Honestly though, after the first 3 days of working out it usually improves my general mood to be active regularly. I don't think it improves it as strongly as it used to then my main workouts were outside (I have a gym in the garage and the church). Perhaps sunshine and activity are better mood enhancers than exercise alson, not sure. It takes about all the energy I have left to go the 15 ft to the garage and start though, motivation until you see a reward is a bitch to get over.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Years ago I was really active - hiking, alpine mountaineering, scuba. (If you think the last one doesn't count, lug my gear around for a day and you'll change your mind.)

I had a life-threatening medical crisis in 2011 (DVT with bilateral PE). The vascular system in my right leg ain't so great. Same leg, long term plantar fasciaitis and a Morton's neuroma. You might correctly surmise that this curtailed my active life. I walked with a mild limp, sometimes needing a cane. I was barely 44 years old.

The spiral into mental illness that followed may or may not have been exacerbated by lack of activity. Could have been a number of things (cocaine, I'm looking at you).

I feel into despair. I got fat. Well, fatter. In the best shape of my life the Army considered me nearly 30 pounds overweight. The Army was high on drugs at the time, obviously.

I kicked the hard drugs, got off tobacco and all forms of nicotine in 2015. I started a weight loss regimen in 2016, lost 48(?) pounds, destroyed my ACL and the anterior meniscus in a bicycle accident. Oh yeah, same right leg.

Gained all but 18 of it back recovering from surgery. Went low carb in November of 2017, later getting really serious about diet, going low carb high protein. I lost a total of 90 pounds from peak up to two months ago when I had bariatric surgery to ensure the weight stayed off. Currently -130 from peak. I'm about 25 pounds from Army weight. I feel good.

Still, the leg.

It's been difficult. Long story, but stationary exercise machines are no bueno and I'm not the best swimmer in the world. I procrastinate mightily, though. I'm thinking of learning to kayak.

All that aside, I have found exercise to be great for my mental state. For the most part. I wish I could do more of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Serious] "Doing Brain-ups", how do you exercise your brain? Gawdzilla Sama 22 1363 October 16, 2020 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus