Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] "Doing Brain-ups", how do you exercise your brain?
Question 
"Doing Brain-ups", how do you exercise your brain?
I get cognitive function tests once a year, part of a study the VA is participating in. I'm not in the control group so researchers can suggest things for me do to try to stay sharp (some would say "get sharp") into my dotage. So I play games. Spider solitaire, with a win rate of about 3% in the hardest mode is one. Scrabble (online) is another. I also play the grand chess games, like Ages of Empires II.

If you haven't considered this aspect of your old age all I can say is "it's never too early."

Suggestions/thought/brickbats?
RE: "Doing Brain-ups", how do you exercise your brain?
I do word puzzles (mainly cryptograms) and commit at least one literary passage - generally poems or song lyrics) to memory each week.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Anything where you have to stop and think is better than sinking into daytime TV.
Lots of different Solitaire games, crossword puzzles, Soduko...Zilla, you mentioned POGO as a time waster, I play several games on there.

Due to being given accountant rights on QuickBooks Online on Friday I will be able to renew my certification as well as complete some other training and certifications. I enjoy the learning process enough that I don't even plan to count it in my hours for payment. The process will be good brain exercise.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I've been thinking of learning a foreign language. Perhaps Scots.
I don't have a firm grip on what exercise I can do to improve my cognitive abilities. Closest I do, that improves my mind, is mindfulness meditation. At least I think that maintains my mind.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(September 6, 2020 at 8:23 am)Sal Wrote: I don't have a firm grip on what exercise I can do to improve my cognitive abilities. Closest I do, that improves my mind, is mindfulness meditation. At least I think that maintains my mind.

I was told "first, it should be fun" so I'd keep doing it. Then something that will challenge you. POGO has Scrabble at escalating levels of skill, so I'll be challenged for a good long while.

And, of course, it doesn't have to be games. I used to do intarsia because it demanded concentration and planning. I have a few dozen half-completed projects to deal with if I ever get back into the basement.
Every morning I play a little brain game known as, "Where the fuck am I?"

Once I've mastered that, I move on to the online multiplayer game of, "What in fuck has he done now?"
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I enjoy Ages of Empires II as well. It's pretty easy unless you go up against at least 2 AI players...

It's a fun timekill in the morning.

A fun thing to do is have some monk squads steal enemy players. My record is a bit over 350 units on my team - and I think I only created about 150....
Let's see.

I am writing up a set of notes that starts with the axioms of set theory and develops the rest of mathematics. Even though I have a PhD in math, I have learned an immense amount from this project. It is currently at 780 pages.

I am learning Chinese (Mandarin). Currently working towards HKS3 status.

I am brushing up on French. I'd like to get to the place where I can read a simple novel in French.

After I get good in Chinese, I'll move to Portuguese.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improper package delivery by UPS Gwaithmir 14 501 March 22, 2024 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What you doing for the New Year 2021? Foxaèr 13 1156 December 31, 2020 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What's everyone doing for New Year's Eve? Dundee 23 1272 December 30, 2020 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What's everyone doing for Christmas? The Valkyrie 34 1297 December 21, 2020 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  EVERYONE should exercise! EgoDeath 28 1592 March 11, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath