Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 1:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God Altruistic? Is God Happy?
Is God Altruistic? Is God Happy?
My answer to- Is God altruistic is no, that is not possible. Everything Yahweh does in the buy-bull is for his own pleasure such as worship by piss ants compared to His glory and magnificence. Shock

My answer to- is God happy is no, I think it needs a psychiatrist. Smile I am perplexed as to why God would even have emotions. Human emotions have a function. Love for reproduction and sanctity of life. Anger for strength. Guilt for self-reflection. I think you see where I'm going with this. Yea, I cannot reconcile how a disembodied brain would even exist even in the strangest of places in our universe. I am not trying to claim there is, I do not believe the woo woo. If somebody can convince me why the supreme being that existed before time and space has emotions, I might change my mind.
Belief in a Cruel God makes a Crueler Man. Thomas Paine with minor edit crueler instead of cruel.
RE: Is God Altruistic? Is God Happy?
Well, on the topic of emotions, I don't see it's existence being tied to some purpose rather I see emotion as the outcome of complex intelligence primarily because emotion is seen almost in all living things though it's expressiveness seems to be tied to the level of intelligence, and secondly, at least in humans emotion seems to be quite detrimental to our survival at times
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

We have emotional reactions to events and experiences. An omniscient God that reacts emotionally at the time to events that it knew would occur before time began is ludicrous. You can't be aware of everything all the time, and still have it make sense to get angry or sad or happy because someone finally did something you always knew for a fact that they would do. The only emotion that makes sense for an omniscient being is boredom.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Hello Rogue, not sure we've crossed paths before.

Since god is man made, god can have what ever human emotions the believer wants, or a lack of emotions. You'll note that the bible believers have the amazing ability to rationalize away the stuff about god that should make them uncomfortable.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 22, 2019 at 9:00 am)Rogue Wrote: My answer to- Is God altruistic is no, that is not possible. Everything Yahweh does in the buy-bull is for his own pleasure such as worship by piss ants compared to His glory and magnificence. Shock

My answer to- is God happy is no, I think it needs a psychiatrist. Smile I am perplexed as to why God would even have emotions. Human emotions have a function. Love for reproduction and sanctity of life. Anger for strength. Guilt for self-reflection. I think you see where I'm going with this. Yea, I cannot reconcile how a disembodied brain would even exist even in the strangest of places in our universe. I am not trying to claim there is, I do not believe the woo woo. If somebody can convince me why the supreme being that existed before time and space has emotions, I might change my mind.

Well, according to the Bible, Yahweh does have emotions. Notably anger, jealousy and hatred.  And - in the unlikely even God does exist - he's also subject to mood swings.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 22, 2019 at 9:00 am)Rogue Wrote: My answer to- Is God altruistic is no, that is not possible. Everything Yahweh does in the buy-bull is for his own pleasure such as worship by piss ants compared to His glory and magnificence. Shock

If god is not altruistic then what was the Jesus on the cross thing about?

After reading the rest of your post let's define altruism as emotion is not a key factor to altruism's execution. 

al·tru·ism
/ˈaltro͞oˌizəm/
noun

1. the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.
    "some may choose to work with vulnerable elderly people out of altruism"
    synonyms:
    unselfishness, selflessnessself-sacrificeself-denial

Given this definition without falling back to emotion why can't god be altruistic?
(March 22, 2019 at 12:46 pm)Drich Wrote:

If god is not altruistic then what was the Jesus on the cross thing about?

After reading the rest of your post let's define altruism as emotion is not a key factor to altruism's execution. 

al·tru·ism
/ˈaltro͞oˌizəm/
noun

1. the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.
    "some may choose to work with vulnerable elderly people out of altruism"
    synonyms:
    unselfishness, selflessnessself-sacrificeself-denial

Given this definition without falling back to emotion why can't god be altruistic?

Because God is not selfless.  God  demands various things (prayer, sacrifice, belief, approved behavior) in return for his good graces.  If God were truly altruistic, atheistic, baby-roasting killers would always be in God's good graces.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Do unicorns make it rain?
edit ; lost interest 3 minutes in; trying to explain anything to drippy is like trying to bail a leaking boat with a bucket absent a bottom.
My god is. I can't speak to your imaginary deities.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu - I am happy because my neighbors are happy. Brakeman 2 1439 September 3, 2013 at 8:36 am
Last Post: LastPoet