Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
want a deeper conversation about atheism
want a deeper conversation about atheism
Greetings internet forum! 

I grew up atheist / culturally Christian and never really thought about my beliefs that deeply and now have a few confusions. Is atheism like a religion in that one can not believe in god without there being proof that god does not exist, or must every belief be based in proof? I don't have a solid proof that god exists or does not exist, but don't believe in god. Maybe I'm just too dumb to have a proof that god(s) don't exist immediately offhand... 

What are peoples thoughts on this? Is there a way to logically argue that god does not exist or can one simply have a belief that god dose not exist?
RE: want a deeper conversation about atheism
Atheism is by no means a religion. It is simply the non belief in ANY gods and the rejection of theistic claims on the subject.

There are many brands of atheism from those who claim there are no gods to agnostic atheists like myself. I don't claim there are no gods, I simply have not seen any convincing evidence for one and will not blindly believe "on faith".

The burden of proof is always on those making the claim, never on those who reject it. Whenever I've asked for evidence I've always been presented with arguments from incredulity "how can all this exist without a higher power?" to personal revelations, "god spoke to me!", to citing the bible as evidence.

These are not evidence and the bible is proof that people wrote the bible (and were really bad editors at the time).
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 28, 2019 at 4:08 pm)fademm Wrote: Greetings internet forum! 

I grew up atheist / culturally Christian and never really thought about my beliefs that deeply and now have a few confusions. Is atheism like a religion in that one can not believe in god without there being proof that god does not exist, or must every belief be based in proof? I don't have a solid proof that god exists or does not exist, but don't believe in god. Maybe I'm just too dumb to have a proof that god(s) don't exist immediately offhand... 

What are peoples thoughts on this? Is there a way to logically argue that god does not exist or can one simply have a belief that god dose not exist?

Welcome to the Forum.

No, you don't have to have proof that God doesn't exist in order to be an atheist.  All that is required is that you lack the belief in godly existence.

That being said, it's never a bad idea to at least familiarize yourself with the arguments for and against the existence of God, as theists are never shy about asking you.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
...and pay the cover charge. I believe it's still 3 tacos. Welcome, we'll see if the poe smell lingers.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Thanks y'all for responding!

Guess I thought that the complexity of nature (such as biological systems assembling themselves) added enough depth of interest to the world without there being a story of god(s) that would have significantly less depth.

As for "culturally Christian" traditions like Christmas I havent had a problem with those so much because I would see the religious implications as not doing anything if there was no god to make angry by celebrating those. My celebration of Christmas seemed more like an Americanized holiday with a focus on materialism and family gathering than Christian beliefs. Although I understand there is a slippery slope element to this.
(March 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm)fademm Wrote: Thanks y'all for responding!

Guess I thought that the complexity of nature (such as biological systems assembling themselves) added enough depth of interest to the world without there being a story of god(s) that would have significantly less depth.

As for "culturally Christian" traditions like Christmas I havent had a problem with those so much because I would see the religious implications as not doing anything if there was no god to make angry by celebrating those. My celebration of Christmas seemed more like an Americanized holiday with a focus on materialism and family gathering than Christian beliefs. Although I understand there is a slippery slope element to this.

Welcome to the forum.

I won't add anything except to suggest  it's worth your while to have a bit of a read. Perhaps start with the headings "Religion"and"Atheism". Those topics should cover your questions from both atheists and theist positions. 

You may find some of the theist arguments  'interesting' Cool
(March 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm)fademm Wrote: Thanks y'all for responding!
I hadn't, but I am now.

(March 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm)fademm Wrote: Guess I thought that the complexity of nature (such as biological systems assembling themselves) added enough depth of interest to the world without there being a story of god(s) that would have significantly less depth.
Therein lies the rub. Theology of any kind states "god did it" and stops there. Science does not.

(March 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm)fademm Wrote: As for "culturally Christian" traditions like Christmas I havent had a problem with those so much because I would see the religious implications as not doing anything if there was no god to make angry by celebrating those.
Sure. I was raised RCC. I celebrate christmas and have a damn fine time doing so. If it is any help, the whole thing is pinched from the preceding pagans anyway. The tree, the Yule log and on and on. They are all pagan traditions.

(March 28, 2019 at 5:08 pm)fademm Wrote: My celebration of Christmas seemed more like an Americanized holiday with a focus on materialism and family gathering than Christian beliefs. Although I understand there is a slippery slope element to this.
Well tough. The rest of the world thoroughly secularised it long before the Americans. Long before the christians for that matter.
(March 28, 2019 at 4:08 pm)fademm Wrote: Greetings internet forum! 
Welcome aboard.

Quote:I grew up atheist / culturally Christian and never really thought about my beliefs that deeply and now have a few confusions. Is atheism like a religion in that one can not believe in god without there being proof that god does not exist, or must every belief be based in proof?
No.

Quote:I don't have a solid proof that god exists or does not exist, but don't believe in god.
That's all that atheism is.

Quote:Maybe I'm just too dumb to have a proof that god(s) don't exist immediately offhand... 
Not required.

Quote:What are peoples thoughts on this? Is there a way to logically argue that god does not exist or can one simply have a belief that god dose not exist?
Sure, plenty of ways, but you don't have to and you don't have to be aware of any of them.   

Welcome aboard, again. Make a thread.  We keep everything but hello to a minimum in the intros.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Welcome Woof.

So far, no one has presented a claim that a god(s) exist in reality that I find believable. Plenty of gods exist in concept and fantasy.

They almost had me when they said god invented boobs................... almost.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 28, 2019 at 7:33 pm)wyzas Wrote: Welcome Woof.

So far, no one has presented a claim that a god(s) exist in reality that I find believable. Plenty of gods exist in concept and fantasy.

They almost had me when they said god invented boobs................... almost.

--and that the devil invented roll-ons.   Look it up if you're too young to remember. Hint: they were replaced by pantie hose.  Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young Adult Seeking Stimulating Theism Debates and Conversation Marshmallow 13 4320 September 28, 2012 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Marshmallow