Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Normal' What is that?
'Normal' What is that?
I've been thinking about a conversation I had with someone in a different thread. I'm now wondering, what is the standard for being normal?
I have my issues, but see myself as being pretty normal. The thing is, maybe I'm not. I'm thinking about diagnosis of people broadly, and society claiming to know what is normal.
Maybe humans are supposed to be depressives and unhappy. We fight against it in loads of different ways, we imagine Gods that love us, we drink alcohol, we pop pills, we have pet cats, we pursue happiness.
Maybe those that we categorise are the only people being true to themselves IDK.

Can anyone point to someone and say "There goes Dave, he's completely normal."
RE: 'Normal' What is that?
I can. But then you have to question my normalcy.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 29, 2019 at 5:06 pm)wyzas Wrote: I can. But then you have to question my normalcy.

Normal?

Simple pragmatic answer: I aim for being able to function  without damaging the furniture or other people.   This becomes or increasing importance as one ages, especially the bit about the furniture.

If you want a formal explantation, look up "Dysfunctional family" to see what the experts say normal ain't.  OR perhaps the somewhat controversial  ' Codependent relationship'

I've always considered the phrase 'the pursuit of happiness' to be idiotic. 

Sigmund Freud is credited with saying "Give me a happy person and I will cure him"
(March 29, 2019 at 4:31 pm)IWNKYAAIMI Wrote: I've been thinking about a conversation I had with someone in a different thread. I'm now wondering, what is the standard for being normal?
I have my issues, but see myself as being pretty normal. The thing is, maybe I'm not. I'm thinking about diagnosis of people broadly, and society claiming to know what is normal.
Maybe humans are supposed to be depressives and unhappy. We fight against it in loads of different ways, we imagine Gods that love us, we drink alcohol, we pop pills, we have pet cats, we pursue happiness.
Maybe those that we categorise are the only people being true to themselves IDK.

I know people who don't seem to have any neurotic tendencies at all. They're highly intelligent, happy, well liked, and successful in their professions. They are what I think of, when I think of 'normal'. I tend to believe that there is such a thing as normal, but I don't think that we should aspire too much to be normal if we are not normal. Being normal is not normal for some of us. Does that make abnormal 'normal' for individuals who aren't normal? Sort of yes, and sort of no. Take a person who is born with three nipples. Is that normal? No. Is it normal for them? Sure.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
@ Yonadav

"I know people who don't seem to have any neurotic tendencies at all."

'don't seem to' can be very different than reality , in my experience.

Over the years I've met several families who seemed happy and very well adjusted. That's because families are good at hiding secrets. After getting to know those families a lot better, I discovered the normalcy was a mask Their families were just as screwed up as mine. Selfish of me, but that was always a relief.

My now ex wife and I kept the facade of a happily married couple.We weren't. Everyone who knew us was deeply shocked when we separated. That experience taught me that the only people who really know a marriage are the two participants. And that there are almost always two sides to reasons for marriage failure. (although the balance may be very uneven)

Since that time I have never taken sides when this happens to someone I know. I offer support, but not judgement, to either side.
(March 29, 2019 at 4:31 pm)IWNKYAAIMI Wrote: I've been thinking about a conversation I had with someone in a different thread. I'm now wondering, what is the standard for being normal?

I don't want to be normal. Normal terrifies me.

I want to be Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos.

Fuck normal.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I have a mate who collects old postage stamps.  I have another who collects ladies garters.  *shrug*

They both seem normal enough to me.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In high school ( in the 70's) we had a subbstitute teacher from time to time - a 70 year old guy - Mr Summers - who was a real hoot. You always looked forward to one of his classes.

He once said - " The only normal child is one that lies, steals, cheats and masturbates".

When asked if he was a normal child - he quipped - "Much more than most."
(March 29, 2019 at 5:33 pm)fredd bear Wrote: @ Yonadav

"I know people who don't seem to have any neurotic tendencies at all."

'don't seem to' can be very different than reality , in my experience.

Over the years I've met several  families who seemed happy and very well adjusted. That's because families are good at hiding secrets.  After getting to know those families a lot better, I discovered the normalcy was a mask Their families were  just as screwed up as mine. Selfish of me, but that was always a relief.

My now ex wife and I kept the facade of a happily married couple.We weren't. Everyone who knew us was deeply shocked when we separated. That experience taught me that the only people who really know a marriage are the two participants. And that there are almost always two sides to reasons for marriage failure. (although the balance may be very uneven)

Since that time I have never taken sides when this happens to someone I know.  I offer support, but not judgement, to either side.

That's why I said 'don't seem to' instead of 'don't'.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
I knew a sailor with the last name of "Normal". He was gay.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Covid normal? ignoramus 5 384 January 4, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet