Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need to be amongst my own kind
I need to be amongst my own kind
I guess you could say that I was driven here, as I've been living out the core of my school year in a dorm with a roommate who is simply put, quite devout in his beliefs. Now I had never said anything to him about this until a few days ago, when I came back to the room to find one of his jesus themed posters tacked on my wall beside my bed. I simply told him that this was my side of the room and for him to keep his things to his side, to which he seemed offended by this. He asked me if I had a problem with Jesus, to which I told him that I simply want nothing to do with it. He then asked as to whether I believed in God, and of course, I told him I did not. He then looked at me as if I had two heads or something, saying that there is no reason for me not to believe. I answered him by stating that unless there is clear evidence provided as per the existence of God, then I will remian unconvinced. He then asked me what I did believe in, to which I told him nothing. He seemed appalled by this, stating that everybody has to believe in something. I told him that I believe what has been made evident by empirical evidence and research. Now this is where he became angry and began to get defensive. I will now recite the jist of the following conversation.

Him: You really believe the shit that has been spewed from scientists over the years?

Me: Like I said, I am convinced when there is evidence provided, and that is what they have given me.

Him: So you're a believer of evolution, the Big Bang, and all that crap?

Me: Yeah.

Him: So you believe that scientists have all the answers then?

Me: No, but we are finding out more and more as the years go on.

Him: Ah Hah! So you don't know all the answers, which is why I personally go with God.

Me: Why fill the gaps with God though? Why not explore the unknown rather than fabricate it?

Him: It's not fabricated!!!

Me: Show me God.

Him: (snickering as if I'm the delusional one) What are you talking about?

Me: Prove to me God exists.

Him: Accept him into your heart and then you have your proof.

Me: You mean blindly follow something without evidence as to its existence?

Him: No.......Your not even making sense right now.

Me: Whatever man, I don't even want to talk about this anymore.

Him: Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Me: Truth hurts? You've proven nothing to me.

Him: I told you how to find the proof, you're just not trying.

Me: (too frustrated to even respond)

Him: I pity you, when you're ready to admit that the lord is the only way to salvation then come talk to me.

Me: The only way? What about Buddha? Or Allah? Or Krishna?

Him: I thought you didn't believe in anything?

Me: I don't. I'm speaking hypothetically.

Him: Like I said, the lord is the only way to true salvation.

Me: Okay, let's be objective about this.

Him: What do you mean?

Me: Let's just say that someone from Norway or India comes over to you and begins preaching to you about their gods or deities. Would you abandon all your beliefs about God, and begin praising their God?

Him: No.

Me: Okay, now let's just say you grew up in India in a Buddhist culture with Buddhist parents. You hold the values of Buddhism close and believe it to be the one way to true salvation.

Him: It's not.

Me: Like I said, just be objective for a second. Put yourself in those shoes, and let's just say an American comes to India and begins preaching to you about their God. Will you abandon all your beliefs on Buddhism and begin praising their God?

Him: Yeah.

Me: No, your not being objective, your still seeing the scenario from your current point of view. Why would you abandon your Buddhist beliefs like that and side with God?

Him: I'll say it again slowly, God is the one true way to salvation.

Me: But in this scenario, you believe Buddhism to be the one true way.

Him: But it's not, and I would realize that after hearing about God.

Me: (ready to explode) Do you even know what being objective means? You'd turn Buddhism down like that as a Christian, but in the same scenario you'd turn your back on Buddhism in favor fo Chrisitianity? What about the tribes in Africa, or the people in the Middle East who may have never even heard of God? You think it's fair that those people are castigated like that?

Him: Seems unfair, but what are going to do? I trust he has a plan for them. I guess it's just lucky that I follow the real God. Any more questions?

Me: (seething) No, forget about it.

Him: Whatever then.

So needless to say, this little debate sent me over the edge and I just felt I needed to register here and converse with individuals much like myself, who won't drive me insane.
RE: I need to be amongst my own kind
Welcome Destroya27.
Pull up a chair and tell the god botherer to keep his grubby little hands OFF your side of the dorm.
Or you will start turning his jeebus into Raptor Jeebus and celebrate Velociraptor Day!! Great
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Yeah...sounds as if your room mate has a bad case of shitheaditis.

Pull up a chair and relax, lad. We have a few nut jobs around here too but they serve as "the bad example."
Where are you, anyway?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 22, 2011 at 6:10 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Where are you, anyway?

Fredericton, NB, Canada.

Also, my name is Bobby and I'm 20 years of age just in case it's asked.
(January 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm)Destroya27 Wrote:

Fredericton, NB, Canada.

Yay, another Canadian, welcome Smile

[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
(January 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm)OnlyNatural Wrote:
(January 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm)Destroya27 Wrote:

Fredericton, NB, Canada.

Yay, another Canadian, welcome Smile

Big Grin Appeciated
Looks like this feller you've been arguing with will not (I'll go as far as to say "REFUSE") to look at other point of views. He will not question. A very closed minded idiot. He is the sort you should do well to avoid. You'll only be wasting time and energy on him.
Thank Satan I don't have to put up with any religious wackos around here. Seeing as there aren't any. Tongue
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Welcome, peach, you're here amongst friends now. Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Hang up a Raptor Jesus poster, that should piss him off no endBig Grin

P.s hi from Oz.

Badger
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wandering Sheep Seeks Walk Amongst the Wolves GodsRevolt 32 4285 November 1, 2013 at 12:09 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  I am back!!! Well kind of... Statler Waldorf 8 3678 February 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf