Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Galxies Expanding?
Are the Galxies Expanding?
I was reading Isaac Asimov’s book How Did We Find Out About the Universe. He says scientists noticed the star Sirius was red shifting. This goes against my understanding of the raisin bread dough model of universal expansion. According to what I understand of this model, the d ark energy acts as a kind of yeast while the space between the raisins/galaxies is the dough. Just as yeast doesn’t make the raisins expand so dark matter doesn’t infiltrate galaxies causing them to expand.

But if Sirius is red shifting that means intra galactic expansion. I always thought of dark energy and gravity acting like oil and water—not mixing. But if dark energy can defeat the gravity that holds the galaxies together, what keeps it from infiltrating atoms and defeating the weak force that holds atoms together? This is scarier than a renegade higgs boson playing around in a false vacuum.

I first knew Asimov as a science fiction author. But he was also a scientist and professor and has written many books expounding real science to young readers. This lends weight to what he says here.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Are the Galxies Expanding?
Or Sirius has a high velocity relative to the galactic center than us.
Or in a couple of hundred years, people laugh at how primitive we were, thinking that the galaxies were expanding. :-)

Nah, a bunch of meat sacks on a tiny planet circling a mundane star in a somewhat larger than average galaxy residing in a typical supercluster of galaxies has already figured everything out. Nothing left to learn, or we would have already learned it.
I've got no clue. Just nice to see ya around more Rhonda.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Yea welcome back Rhonda, we missed you.
Redshift is not necessarily indicative of expansion - expansion works on larger scales. What causes redshift between within in our galaxy is relative motion. Stars can have unusual trajectories, etc. It's not a result of the same phenomenon
(April 8, 2019 at 7:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: Yea welcome back Rhonda, we missed you.

Well, you've had plety time to practice your aim.
(You knew somebody was going to say that)

(April 8, 2019 at 8:25 am)Jackalope Wrote: Redshift is not necessarily indicative of expansion - expansion works on larger scales.  What causes redshift between within in our galaxy is relative motion.  Stars can have unusual trajectories, etc.  It's not a result of the same phenomenon

He didn't use the term redshift. He just said the star is moving away as an example of universal expansion. But then, he also said Andromeda is moving closer. The man just messed me all up. My understanding is tore up from the floor up.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Andromeda is moving closer because it and our galaxy are gravitationally bound and are in mutual orbit - on those scales gravity overpowers the pressure of DE. Same with stars. DE works on intergalactic scales where distance between objects precludes any kind of significant gravitational interaction.

Simply, other, stronger forces are at work here that aren't elsewhere.
Try keep in mind that the universe is actually orbiting around a certain politician's ego.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5927 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9859 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1723 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How is the Universe Expanding? Rhondazvous 48 17027 July 10, 2017 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  expanding universe question jesus_wept 31 6256 October 3, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: OmProg