Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bomb Detecting Plants
Bomb Detecting Plants
Interesting idea!

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2...ctors.html
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Bomb Detecting Plants
Quote:Currently, the plants can change colour within hours - and are 100 times more sensitive to chemical signals than a dog's nostrils

However, the dog can bite the bomber on the ass.

[Image: 31Bw-3nXgoL._SL75_SS50_.jpg]
Very true, but depending on context I find the plants to be infinitely preferable. Mostly because they don't pee on the rug when they get excited.
You do have to let them out once in a while............
Our dog could spend an hour outside and still come back in with pee to spare.
Talented.

My girl always squats 3 times on our walks. I'm pretty sure that with the last one she's just jerking my chain.
I'm just glad to see airport security working on something that doesn't involve state-backed molestation of passengers, among other things.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Quote:Currently, the plants can change colour within hours - and are 100 times more sensitive to chemical signals than a dog's nostrils - but they will need to respond within seconds or minutes to be truly useful as green watchdogs.

This reminds me of another sensitive plant called Mimosa pudica.

The leaves of the plant fold up when you touch them and it is not an engineered plant unlike the tobacco bomb detecting plants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0LFBM3hOLs
I've grown that, Rayaan. It's pretty awesome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aquatic plants. The Petunias died on impact. Succubus 17 2722 April 20, 2019 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Lemon Curry
  Nastic Movements in Plants thesummerqueen 14 5738 October 18, 2012 at 11:14 am
Last Post: jonb
Big Grin The Secret Life of Plants... KichigaiNeko 0 1602 March 17, 2012 at 9:42 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Secret Life of Plants KichigaiNeko 0 1299 February 10, 2012 at 6:06 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Fairchild's Mule, or Plants are Cooler Than Your God thesummerqueen 0 2928 January 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Plants are Awesome thesummerqueen 15 4421 December 12, 2011 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Plants and Evolution thesummerqueen 3 1597 November 4, 2011 at 11:40 am
Last Post: leo-rcc