Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prescription Issue
Prescription Issue
Okay, so I just spent three days in the hospital and the doctors put me on a new medication called Eliquis. I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription and my eyes bugged out of my head when I saw the bill: $295 for a month's supply of pills! I can afford it, but I certainly don't like it. Why is it so fucking EXPENSIVE?  Mad
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: Prescription Issue
(July 12, 2019 at 7:25 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: Why is it so fucking EXPENSIVE?  Mad

It's expensive because of Trump and the rest of the Republicans. They are in power now and they just want rich CEOs to get even richer by ripping off working people and by giving them tax evasions and they have Jesus on their side.

Quote:Group travels from Minnesota to Canada to buy $34 insulin that runs for $380 in the US

"Here in the United States, people are having to choose between, 'Do I pay my rent or do I buy my insulin?'" Deb Souther, one of the people who made the journey, told a local Fox station in an interview released on Monday.

"It's unbelievable that we can just go across the border and get the insulin for this price," she added. "Three months' supply and save thousands and thousands of dollars." 

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-...sulin-that
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
There are other, less expensive, anticoagulant options.......... but they come with baggage (ie side effects, monitoring, .............).
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 12, 2019 at 7:25 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: Okay, so I just spent three days in the hospital and the doctors put me on a new medication called Eliquis. I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription and my eyes bugged out of my head when I saw the bill: $295 for a month's supply of pills! I can afford it, but I certainly don't like it. Why is it so fucking EXPENSIVE?  Mad

Yeah - my dad shit too....

Apparently - you don't have to do the monitoring - making frequent trips to the Drs officer Eliquis.

You're paying for convenience - and whatever other excuses they can cook up.
(July 12, 2019 at 7:25 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: Okay, so I just spent three days in the hospital and the doctors put me on a new medication called Eliquis. I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription and my eyes bugged out of my head when I saw the bill: $295 for a month's supply of pills! I can afford it, but I certainly don't like it. Why is it so fucking EXPENSIVE?  Mad

The manufacturer is going to recoup the money it spent on research and development. When the patent expires and generics are available, the price will go down. It really is a much better anticoagulant than Warfarin. The monitoring required for dirt cheap Warfarin could cost you more than the Eliquis.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Because the patent doesn't expire until 2023! Naughty

Very informative article:
Warfarin Alternatives: Are Eliquis and Xarelto Worth the Cost?

Mind you, PT/INR self-testing can be done at home with a meter.
The Free Market strikes again and fucks the people.  There is no valid reason for medicine costs to be that high.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 12, 2019 at 11:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The Free Market strikes again and fucks the people.  There is no valid reason for medicine costs to be that high.

Boru

My wife needs an injection every three months for an autoimmune illness - each injection is almost $25,000 - and because of it's non-formulary status it's covered under co-insurance up to our maximum out of pocket rather than a copay. There are no effective less expensive alternatives.

This year, because we were forced to change insurance mid-year, we get to pay that huge out of pocket expense twice. We already met it once, we'll meet it again. Our out of pocket expenses this year are easily going to to 15K not even accounting for premiums.

Obviously because of pharmacy benefit managers /s

(July 12, 2019 at 5:13 pm)Jackalope Wrote:
(July 12, 2019 at 11:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The Free Market strikes again and fucks the people.  There is no valid reason for medicine costs to be that high.

Boru

My wife needs an injection every three months for an autoimmune illness - each injection is almost $25,000 - and because of it's non-formulary status it's covered under co-insurance up to our maximum out of pocket rather than a copay. There are no effective less expensive alternatives.

This year, because we were forced to change insurance mid-year, we get to pay that huge out of pocket expense twice. We already met it once, we'll meet it again. Our out of pocket expenses this year are easily going to to 15K not even accounting for premiums.

Sounds like Acthar.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

I am sorry to hear you were in the hospital.

My cardiologist asked me if I was having any trouble paying for my meds.  I am not but I know that often doctors can get you a deal from the drug company.  It might be worth asking about. 

One thing that makes me crazy is the mail order requirement some insurance companies have for meds you have to take for a long time.  Yeah, it's a lot cheaper (usually) but because of the doctor taking me off a medication I have two months worth of a fairly expensive drug that is probably expired by now.  I don't know how it's saving money if it's wasted because you have to get 90 days worth and it might not work for you.  You would think the powers that be would allow you a trial period before dispensing so much of a maintenance drug.

The medical system of billing and insurance is a screwed up mess here in the US.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius