Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you miss anyone axed by metoo?
Do you miss anyone axed by metoo?
I guess I miss Charlie Rose because his show seemed to be unique: he didn't just have conversations with top celebrities but also playwrights, scientists, architects, etc. I mean can't anyone else make a show like that?

Also isn't it a bit of coincidence that since Harvey Weinstein was axed Meryl Streep wasn't nominated for an Oscar for the first time in years? Or maybe it wasn't a streak of nominations, I'm too lazy to check.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Do you miss anyone axed by metoo?
Barring any who I suspect might actually be innocent (an admittedly small number), two names come to mind: First is Louis CK, and it's honestly sad to realise that, once his predatory behaviours came to light, he figured out the best thing to do would be to turn into a total dumpster fire.

The other one is Kevin Spacey. He is probably my favourite living actor. Unfortunately, he's turned out to be a major sexual predator, so I get why his career is dead. That said, there's one idea I'd like to try out and here's an old post where I talk about it

(September 27, 2018 at 1:06 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: The idea just came to me after watching this deleted scene from Zootopia:

That got me to wondering: Are you miffed that Kevin Spacey's career is over, but knowing full well that the reason he did so is because society needs to be protected from a sexual predator? Can we potentially have our cake and eat it too? So, I tried to see what shock collars did for humans.

Here's the pitch: Kevin Spacey can potentially return to acting, BUT, he has to wear a shock collar 24/7 for the rest of his life (except maybe in the shower or bath.) He is wealthy enough to hire handlers who should be prepared to watch him like a hawk for any signs of him stepping out of line. The minute he does, one of those handlers presses a button on the remote and shocks him. But Rye, you may be asking: what if he does slip away from his handlers and fall back into the shit that originally ended his career? Well, here's the one major shortcoming I have for this plan. That said, I do have a plan for what should be done: unlike the more intense, short, sharp, shocks that come normally from the shock collars, I'd find a way to create a less intense, but more sustained shock to temporarily incapacitate him while those handlers can find him. Unfortunately, I can't be sure if the "sweet spot" for this crucial mode can actually exist, where the voltage is high enough to be temporarily incapacitating, but low enough that it doesn't do permanent damage for a sustained period of time. I'm fairly certain he'll never reach the point where he can be trusted without the shock collar, though, if that "paralyser mode" can be made to work, things could be made to work out.

Granted, he will have to avoid the beach, and maybe directors will have to work in why he has to wear a shock collar (or an ascot that will cover it up) for his roles. But, if this works, we can have one of the great actors of our time still working, but still make it so he can't hurt anyone again.

That said, if one says he shouldn't come back on principle, even if protective measures are put into place to make sure he doesn't reoffend, I can't say I blame you.

Maybe they can make a movie where Kevin Spacey plays an actor in the exact same situation (turning out to be a predatory asshole and being given a shock collar to keep him in work). And as someone whose favourite film of all time had a major plot point where a habitual criminal is subjected to torture in an attempt to make him harmless, I'd certainly see that movie.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 29, 2019 at 11:34 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Maybe they can make a movie where  Kevin Spacey plays an actor in the exact same situation (turning out to be a predatory asshole and being given a shock collar to keep him in work). And as someone whose favourite film of all time had a major plot point where a habitual criminal is subjected to torture in an attempt to make him harmless, I'd certainly see that movie.

A clockwork orange, what do I win?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Louie C.K. broke my heart. I absolutely adored him.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(July 29, 2019 at 10:33 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: I guess I miss Charlie Rose because his show seemed to be unique: he didn't just have conversations with top celebrities but also playwrights, scientists, architects, etc. I mean can't anyone else make a show like that?

Also isn't it a bit of coincidence that since Harvey Weinstein was axed Meryl Streep wasn't nominated for an Oscar for the first time in years? Or maybe it wasn't a streak of nominations, I'm too lazy to check.

Weinstein was 'axed' in 2018.  Streep was nominated for an Oscar that year and the year before. Neither of these films was a Weinstein production. What more do you want?

To answer your question:  I miss Morgan Freeman.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Louis was the hardest because his comedy made him sound like an ally. On his show, he wrote some really fucking insightful lines. I'm extra pissed at him.

I'm glad Aziz Ansari made a comeback from his highly publicized awkward date. I'd have been pissed if that hurt his career too much, as I don't at all believe he is a sexual predator.

Kevin Spacey bothered me, but I'm over it.
Technically, Harvey was axed in late 2017 and, in the past 10 years, Meryl was not nominated in 2011, 2013, 2016, and 2019. And of her 21 nominated performances, Harvey had a hand in exactly four of them. And the last one was August Osage County, in 2014.

Also, her sole roles in 2018 were the Mary Poppins and Mamma Mia sequels, and narrator for a documentary about sexism. Do ANY of those seem like roles the Academy would consider?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 29, 2019 at 2:30 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Louie C.K. broke my heart. I absolutely adored him.

Same. I think it's about time he came back into comedy. What he did is certainly not excusable, but I'd like to think he's paid his due.

edit: I understand he is doing local clubs and stuff but I'm interested in seeing another special from him; he's fucking hilarious.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Donald Trump. Pussy grabber my ass. What ever happened to that guy???
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If you miss serial sex offenders you need a better scope.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did I miss this/2016 was a truly cruel bitch! Ravenshire 2 439 May 17, 2017 at 7:35 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Awesome stuff you'd never let anyone catch you watching BrokenQuill92 26 5056 August 21, 2016 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin