Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's 2019 can we please stop the stupid?
It's 2019 can we please stop the stupid?
So just now on Twitter, I ran into a an angry Tweet form an IDIOT getting angry at someone else for calling dolphins mammals. The idiot did a all caps shout Tweet insisting that dolphins were fish because they swim in the water. 

They should not be angry at the person that told them the truth, they should get angry at the person that sold them the lie. 

I swear, America is regressing and that is scary.
RE: It's 2019 can we please stop the stupid?
The dolphin is both a fish and a mammal.  Ain't nomenclature just the coolest?

And Dr. Johnson defined a fish as 'an animal that inhabits the water.'  Who are YOU to question him??

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 6, 2019 at 3:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The dolphin is both a fish and a mammal.  Ain't nomenclature just the coolest?

And Dr. Johnson defined a fish as 'an animal that inhabits the water.'  Who are YOU to question him??

Boru

Um no, popular language is not the same as biological scientific language. Dolphins are mammals not fish. Mammals swim in water too, but that does not make them fish.

I'd say they should stop confusing people by mixing the two words. It is the same type of bullshit that confuses laypeople who think the word "theory" is just a guess, when in scientific terms it is not merely a guess.

Mixing those two words did cause this individual to claim it was not a mammal, so it is not wise to mix those words because dolphins are mammals.
Dolphins are also fish.  This is a dolphin fish:

[Image: 350px-Female_Dolphin_Fish.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
This dolphin - genus Coryphaena - most certainly is a fish.

[Image: bull-dolphin-or-mahi-mahi--482194845-5c2...1dd9fe.jpg]

This one - genus Delphinidae - not so much.

[Image: 4ce571c1cadcbb7861080000-750.jpg]
(August 6, 2019 at 3:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Dolphins are also fish.  This is a dolphin fish:

Boru

That is a layperson's name, not a scientific definition.

For a dolphin to be both a mammal and a fish it would have to have BOTH lungs and gills and lay eggs and give live birth, and we both know dolphins do not have both or do both. 

"Dolphin fish" in the case of this picture is a laypersons name, not a scientific classification.

If the species pictured in this post lays eggs it is a fish. If it has gills it is a fish.

"Dolphin fish" is the name of a different species, not the scientific classification of mammal.

The other dolphin, the ones with lungs who gives live birth is a mammal water, but not a fish.
(August 6, 2019 at 3:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 6, 2019 at 3:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The dolphin is both a fish and a mammal.  Ain't nomenclature just the coolest?

Boru

Um no, popular language is not the same as biological scientific language. Dolphins are mammals not fish...

Of course they're fucking fish. I've caught a few using fish hooks.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(August 6, 2019 at 3:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 6, 2019 at 3:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Dolphins are also fish.  This is a dolphin fish:

Boru

That is a layperson's name, not a scientific definition.

For a dolphin to be both a mammal and a fish it would have to have BOTH lungs and gills and lay eggs and give live birth, and we both know dolphins do not have both or do both. 

"Dolphin fish" in the case of this picture is a laypersons name, not a scientific classification.

If the species pictured in this post lays eggs it is a fish. If it has gills it is a fish.

"Dolphin fish" is the name of a different species, not the scientific classification of mammal.

The other dolphin, the ones with lungs who gives live birth is a mammal water, but not a fish.
That picture is a dolphin that is a food fish aka Mahi Mahi.

The other kind of dolphin more resembles a porpoise.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Oh, c'mon. We know Brian's correct.

Dolphinfish (Mahi Mahi) is more like swordfish, at least in flavor. It is not a species of actual dolphin. It is not warm-blooded. Dolphins, including the killer whale, are warm-blooded.
(August 6, 2019 at 4:20 pm)Shell B Wrote: Oh, c'mon. We know Brian's correct.

Dolphinfish (Mahi Mahi) is more like swordfish, at least in flavor. It is not a species of actual dolphin. It is not warm-blooded. Dolphins, including the killer whale, are warm-blooded.

But are they Republican?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PLEASE: birds, bees, flowers and trees! Haipule 24 2470 January 6, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  The Only Way To Stop A Bad Guy With A Club Minimalist 5 1247 January 21, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Qualified people please LogicOrDie 14 3280 July 4, 2014 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Idaho Looking To Cash In On Stupid Minimalist 13 2885 June 18, 2014 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Please Help Me Understand Consciousness Mudhammam 17 2937 March 25, 2014 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Intelligent People are Stupid Max_Kolbe 24 3873 September 21, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 17994 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda