Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God
How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God
Ten Simple Steps For Destroying The Arguments Of The Godless

1.  Context is key.  Take your opponent's words out of context, and substitute your own.  Always accuse your opponent of taking your own words out of context.

2.  Make up your own science.  AIG is a terrific source for this.

3.  Insist that the Bible is a moral guide, not a scientific one, then claim the opposite (it's especially effective if you can do this in the same breath).

4.  Claim that Hitler was an atheist, then act like it matters.

5.  Redefine common words in ways that support your argument.  Good examples include 'miracle', 'supernatural', 'nature', 'theory', and 'God'.  Be creative!

6.  Introduce topics that have nothing to do with the argument, then act as if you've scored a point.  For instance, if the topic is cosmology, say, 'But what about Joseph Stalin?' then sit back and look smug.

7.  Accuse your opponent of taking positions they haven't.  A good example might be if, when your opponent questions the efficacy of prayer, accusing him of hating free speech.

8.  Remember that the Bible is malleable. It can be as literal or as allegorical as you need it to be at any given moment.

9.  Make false and irrelevant claims about famous scientists.  Good ones to use are Newton, Einstein, and Darwin.  You opponent will waste valuable time refuting these claims and will have less time to refute the claims you're scared he'll get round to.

10.  If none of the above works, you can always stick your fingers in your ears, shut your eyes and shriek, 'I CAN'T HEAR YOU I CANT HEAR YOU I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God
Say that believing in God is reasonable and yet argue that God is beyond our understanding. You cannot lose with this formula.
The main thing theists do is a diversion. When you start explaining them how something in their faith/ religion doesn't make sense they quickly start diverting conversation on you personally, usually by writing personal insults at you. Or start writing about something completely off topic and usually conspiracies and more precisely the Moon landing.
And this is something that I noticed use theists who take their scripture more literally (aka creationists) and this is something that I deal mostly with theists outside this forum.

While those theists that like to see themselves as more "sophisticated" aren't that much better. While they don't go on you personally that much, they also use usual fallacies to avoid talking about the subject and/ or completely ignore when you show their beliefs to be absurd.

And when they're totally beaten down, they pull the "feelings" card: how God is all about feelings.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(August 16, 2019 at 8:27 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: The main thing theists do is a diversion. When you start explaining them how something in their faith/ religion doesn't make sense they quickly start diverting conversation on you personally, usually by writing personal insults at you. Or start writing about something completely off topic and usually conspiracies and more precisely the Moon landing.
And this is something that I noticed use theists who take their scripture more literally (aka creationists) and this is something that I deal mostly with theists outside this forum.

While those theists that like to see themselves as more "sophisticated" aren't that much better. While they don't go on you personally that much, they also use usual fallacies to avoid talking about the subject and/ or completely ignore when you show their beliefs to be absurd.

And when they're totally beaten down, they pull the "feelings" card: how God is all about feelings.

Different strategies depending on different personalities man. A lot of theists who come here are dicks and trolls. But there have been a couple of theists who were quite respectful in their debates.
Cool post. I wonder how many religious folks will read this and actually consider that they may be guilty of some of these.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Burn the heretic(s).
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3490 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5239 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How To Support Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 0 497 August 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How to Defend The Historical Jesus YahwehIsTheWay 21 2033 December 1, 2018 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Cherub786
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 23525 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Another argument for God. Mystic 52 9277 January 24, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: uncool
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 18787 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God athrock 429 73835 March 14, 2016 at 2:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Oncological Argument against the existence of God Alex K 49 11524 December 25, 2015 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Any Theists on AF, I Challenge You to a Debate on the Existence of God RonaldReagansGhost666 253 47275 January 31, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: helyott