Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God
The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God
I have never seen this argument before, so I'm interested in some discussion of it. A philosopher by the name of Alvin Plantinga states it this way:

The Ontological Argument

1. It is possible that a maximally great being exists.
  2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists is some possible world.
  3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.
  4. If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.
  5. If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then a maximally great being exists.
  6. Therefore, a maximally great being exists.

Thoughts?
RE: The Ontological Argument for the Existence of God
Um. Non sequitur much? Like, very much??
I don't see how most of these steps follow. What is maximally great supposed to mean anyhow.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

"It is possible that a maximally great being exists."
No.
How do we know it's possible for a maximally great being to exist in reality? The way Plantinga defines such an entity is too vague to make any clear conclusion out of it.
(December 12, 2015 at 1:37 pm)athrock Wrote: I have never seen this argument before, so I'm interested in some discussion of it. A philosopher by the name of Alvin Plantinga states it this way:

The Ontological Argument

1. It is possible that a maximally great being exists.
  2. If it is possible that a maximally great being exists, then a maximally great being exists is some possible world.
  3. If a maximally great being exists in some possible world, then it exists in every possible world.
  4. If a maximally great being exists in every possible world, then it exists in the actual world.
  5. If a maximally great being exists in the actual world, then a maximally great being exists.
  6. Therefore, a maximally great being exists.

Thoughts?

What do you mean by maximally great being? the man with the cutest arse, best breathe and is nice to animals? there probably is a nicest man in the world but there is certainly no evidence for magic men, so no this falls at the first hurdle as an argument for god.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

A. Define 'maximally great'.

B. Explain why/how 3 follows from 2 and how 3 follows from 4.

C. Have an ontologist explain why the argument works for God, but not for TikTok from the Oz books.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It is possible that a maximumlly great being cannot exist.
Therefore, it is possible that a maximumlly great being cannot exist in any actual world 
If a maximumlly great being cannot exist in any actual world, then it cannot exist in this world. 
Therefore, it is possible a maximumlly great being does not exist.

Unsubstantiated premises are fun.   Shy
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
If you can imagine something existing, it must actually exist somewhere? That would imply all gods exist, not to mention all manner of other creatures that people have imagined. That's kind of silly.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Here we go again......

You posit existence as an attribute of this "maximally great" being in your premise 1.  Is there any need to argue existence in when you assume it in the premise, and all further steps flow from that assumption, however poorly?  

Nope.

Now, will you be demonstrating the veracity of any of these premises..or abandoning them like you abandoned your last argument, as soon as it had left your lips?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4076 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10743 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5248 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How To Support Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 0 497 August 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 5 769 August 22, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1862 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3255 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6864 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 23534 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Another argument for God. Mystic 52 9278 January 24, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: uncool