Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I opened the door for solicitors
Sad 
I opened the door for solicitors
I feel like an idiot  Doh these religious people came to my door and because they didn't have a bible i didn't think they where religious so i let them ask me a question. 
Keep in mind i have aspergers so i don't know how to people as it is and there like do you believe in god? and my brain was like "Walk away slowly and shut the door" and because i don't like lying my mouth just goes uh, i'm an atheist? And there just like oh? tell me how you got to that conclusion, and i'm like uh iv'e been like this? oh okay, tell me how this apartment just randomly appeared here. .___. And i'm like thinking "I don't know how to have a actual debate man, i just watch debates" so i'm sitting here like a complete moron who doesn't sound like they understand which clearly makes them look like their winning. And i'm like "Google it" or read a Charles Darwin i can't get words out of my head very well but there are tons of things online you can look up "i have to go now, bye" and shut the door. I wanna hide in a hole now to be fair, i can't debate worth the life of me yet iv'e watched millions of videos. The words didn't come out i didn't mean it to sound like you win. i latterly meant the words aren't in my head to explain and you should find someone who can. 
Damn, now i'm worried there gonna come back because i opened the door for them the first time and they where gone for so long too! is it odd to say i feel like my personal space was sorta invaded? A question, doesn't always mean debate, or the bible and i wish they would have just said a question about god cause then i'd have had more room to say sorry i didn't realize that's not a conversation i'd like to have.  I also am nervous about them showing back up or starting something with folks below me now, is there anyway i can make it so they can't knock on my door? but i also don't want to make it so i can't help other people who actually need something like bottle collecting or more important things. 
I know i'm sorta hard on myself for mistakes, but i really do feel dumb. 
but religious people have always made me feel dumb? i also tend to freeze up and slur my words and my thinking gets all fuzzy cause social anxiety.
RE: I opened the door for solicitors
I saw this sign on the internet and am going to make one for my front door:

"Greeting solicitors

The people in this household charge $20 per minute to listen to sales pitches, religious messages and any other speech you are offering today. These fees are payable in advance, minimum one minute. You hereby acknowledge your agreement with the above terms by knocking on the door or ringing the door bell."
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(September 6, 2019 at 9:47 am)Fireball Wrote: I saw this sign on the internet and am going to make one for my front door:

"Greeting solicitors

The people in this household charge $20 per minute to listen to sales pitches, religious messages and any other speech you are offering today. These fees are payable in advance, minimum one minute. You hereby acknowledge your agreement with the above terms by knocking on the door or ringing the door bell."

What about cookies though? lol that's one of the issues when it says or sales. 
the other is i like to answer the bottle people because sometimes they use it for good cause. i have looked up signs i haven't found a ton that aren't rude but also allow some soliciting idk how id word it if i did do it i could make one but i don't got the words. I'm also not helping other athiests by answering questions clearly lol
It's your home.

Make yourself comfortable.

Feel free to be naked.

The christers can leave if they don't like it.
(September 6, 2019 at 10:08 am)onlinebiker Wrote: It's your home.

Feel free to be naked.

Yea, true i guess i just feel dumb for not knowing what to say  :/ 
but also i don't want to be mean and cut them off and say leave. but your right i should.
It might help to prepare a response for if/when it happens again. 'No thank you' ought to suffice, and if it doesn't, they're the ones who are being rude.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
A couple of months ago some Jehovah's Witnesses showed up at my house. They were both young men in their early 20's. I gave them my atheist business card. They took one look at the card and left without making any attempt to discuss religion or the Bible.  Jesus
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(September 6, 2019 at 10:55 am)TristanJ Wrote:
(September 6, 2019 at 10:08 am)onlinebiker Wrote: It's your home.

Feel free to be naked.

Yea, true i guess i just feel dumb for not knowing what to say  :/ 
but also i don't want to be mean and cut them off and say leave. but your right i should.

Any more I just say that I am not interested.  Then I tell them to have a nice day.  Some try to continue on with their spiel but by then I have ended interaction and am closing the door behind me as I go back in the house.  Not rude...just to the point.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Even though I generally am, I really don't feel the need to be polite to people who show up at my door uninvited for the express purpose of  telling me I'm living my life all wrong.  I mean, I don't knock on strangers' doors to tell them all about the joys of non-belief, ffs.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've only had two encounters with JW knocking on my door. Both times I simply said "not interested." and they left straight away. First time it was a dude and a chick, 2nd time it was some old woman, like in her 60ies or 70ies. This happened years apart.

Unless they press you, just say that you have no interest, without explaining why, and they'll probably respect that and just leave - at least that's my experience. Dunno if that helps.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman