Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive: what is and what isn't ?
Offensive: what is and what isn't ?
First, this thread is very RANDOM. You have been warned.

I just had a discussion with some female friends while watching Star Wars, and one of them happens to be very strongly opinionated towards the role of women in general. She found some comments i made offensive and i wanted to check if these following affirmations are considered offensive or not:

-Having "male" and "female" electricity plugs, "male" with the metally bits and "female" with the holes where these bits go in, is offensive to the Transgendered since they can possess the other sex's features.

-Finding Leia and Luke's budding incestuous relationship weird and funny is offensive because incest is natural.

-Making jokes about whiny men saying "shut up or ill punch you in the ovaries" is offensive to women.

-Men calling their cars (on in this case, spaceships) "she" like it was female is objectifying women and as such is offensive.

I personally find none of those offensive but i may be wrong. Input would be helpful so that im not offensive by mistake in the future Smile
RE: Offensive: what is and what isn't ?
That's plainly ridiculous... She sounds like she needs to be bitch-slapped by Al Bundy Smile But seriously i'm all for equal rights, however those complains are beyond unreasonable.

Oh, You can get 'Transgender' plugs by the way, they have two outward connections and an inward one, you see them on cables for old cisco shit every now and then.

Incest is natural, so is Arsenic, classic naturalistic fallacy.

Calling a car 'she' is weird imo, but it's better than a dude calling his car 'he'

This thread has 2 posts in it. How random can it be?

(Give it a day.)
Nah, I think she's taking it too personally. I don't find any of this offensive, but I'm the kind of girl who only has guy friends, and we joke about random stuff like this all the time Tongue

[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
(February 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: First, this thread is very RANDOM. You have been warned.[/qquote]

Clearly you have given this a moments thought

[quote='Rwandrall' pid='116936' dateline='1297309098']
I just had a discussion with some female friends while watching Star Wars, and one of them happens to be very strongly opinionated towards the role of women in general. She found some comments i made offensive and i wanted to check if these following affirmations are considered offensive or not:

-Having "male" and "female" electricity plugs, "male" with the metally bits and "female" with the holes where these bits go in, is offensive to the Transgendered since they can possess the other sex's features.

No it isn't offensive...males invented this system and is a clear indication of just what is ALWAYS on a males mind. What?...She uses a 'strap-on'? Just what IS her 'Sexual Orientation'?

(February 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: -Finding Leia and Luke's budding incestuous relationship weird and funny is offensive because incest is natural.

Their sibling relationship isn't understood by the characters until the last movie...hmmm 'Return of the Jedi'??. Natural?? So what kind of home life does this kid have??

(February 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: -Making jokes about whiny men saying "shut up or ill punch you in the ovaries" is offensive to women.

Why?? I am not understanding this person and their motives. I am also thinking that "goolies" "gonads" may not be understood by the GENERAL American public or may have some sort of R rating attached to the terms ...a bit like using "Bum" instead of 'Fanny"...which confuses the hell out of Aussies

(February 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: -Men calling their cars (on in this case, spaceships) "she" like it was female is objectifying women and as such is offensive.

Not objectifying women....SHEESH! What is wrong with this girl? Men make the machines, the become attached to them and the machines perform for them....it follows that men will refer to them as 'She' ...let's face it ..there is a whole lot of sexual innuendo is involved here between man and his machine. Which doesn't get all upset about him "objectifying it"

(February 9, 2011 at 11:38 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: I personally find none of those offensive but i may be wrong. Input would be helpful so that I'm not offensive by mistake in the future Smile

Tell her to go take a hike...preferably in the Australian Outback... sans water and food. When Women can conceive, construct, repair and develop machines themselves THEN she can complain. Good Grief Charlie Brown!! This 'female has her panties 2 sizes tooo small...sounds like she needs a reality check. After all...IT'S JUST A FUCKING MOVIE!!!

Mind you...I just LOVED doing 'Chainsaw Maintenance' ....couldn't stop myself giggling at the terminology and names for the equipment parts....totally stumped my lecturer who accused me of being in league with his Tree Surgery professor. Yeah ...I have a VERY BROAD mind

Hope this helps Angel Cloud
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Considering that movie had an incredible strong, smart and tough female character who managed to remain wonderfully feminine, I don't know what the hell she was kvetching about.

I call all of MY cars by girl names. Especially my Ford. No man I've ever met has been that temperamental. Her name is Nadine, because she's a spoiled bitch. Not like my Wrangler...her name was Bonny, after the pirate queen. Big Grin

Did she come up with a solution on her own about the male-female thing? I think that should be a rule - next time you bitch about something stupid, you better have a solution handy to back yourself up.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Princess Leia was the only character in star wars to always hit what she shot at (geek fact)

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Lol that's interesting
Last time I checked this forum would be the last place you'd go for an unbiased opinion on the subject! Big Grin Is this a male bonding thread or have things changed around here??

I can just imagine a reversed world where Dotard would be the whining gimp whittering on about how downtrodden men were.

Oy.
(February 10, 2011 at 3:15 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: No it isn't offensive...males invented this system and is a clear indication of just what is ALWAYS on a males mind.

Not true. Are you a mind reader? That was stereotyping and offensive. Tongue

Quote:...because incest is natural.

Natural?? So what kind of home life does this kid have??

Wait, what? It occurs in nature so it is natural. You know, kinda like homosexuality. And just like homosexuality it is not normal human behavior.

Quote: Men make the machines, the become attached to them and the machines perform for them....it follows that men will refer to them as 'She' ...let's face it ..there is a whole lot of sexual innuendo is involved here between man and his machine.

I wonder, do homosexual males refer to their vehicles as He or Him?

Quote:When Women can conceive, construct, repair and develop machines themselves THEN she can complain. Good Grief Charlie Brown!!

They don't? They can't? What are you saying here?

Quote:Yeah ...I have a VERY BROAD mind.

I find that I agree with that statement, however I may have read it differently than you meant it. Smile

[/quote]

(February 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I can just imagine a reversed world where Dotard would be the whining gimp whittering on about how downtrodden men were.

Oy.

LOL. Bizarro World theist forums.

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supernatural isn't a useful concept Rhizomorph13 85 11543 November 12, 2016 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Ignorant