Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life saver or invader of privacy?
Life saver or invader of privacy?
I can see both sides of the coin but lean toward invasion of privacy and don't want the number system. 

"National Patient Identifier Repeal Act would prevent a Social Security number-like system for medical records from enactment"

https://govtrackinsider.com/national-pat...cc2b2b5bba

"In 1996, in response to the earliest nascent forms of electronic or digital health records, a portion of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) mandated “unique patient health identifiers.” Similar to Social Security numbers, these were supposed to be numbers that tracked a specific patient across electronic health record systems in their dealings with doctors, physicians, and hospitals over the course of their life.

But starting in 1998, amid fears of government overreach or that the system would be misused, the annual Health and Human Services Department appropriations bill banned any federal funds from being used to develop the health identifier system. This ban was renewed every year between then and 2018, under both Republican and Democratic majorities.

But on June 12, the House voted 246–178 to “repeal the repeal” and federally fund patient identifiers after all. The vote was mostly along party lines, but not completely. Democrats voted 205–29 in favor (or 87% in favor), while Republicans voted 41–149 against (or 78% opposed)."
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Life saver or invader of privacy?
I was issued a Medicare Health Insurance card with a set of characters markedly different from my SSN. Big joke with my SSN, because it was my ID number when I was in the Navy, and it's everywhere in the system.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
When the ambulance dropped me off at the hospital  with a shattered wrist - a double compound ( tibia and fibula) broken leg - with arterial bleeding (clamped) the admitting drone began interrogating me for my personal information. 

I refused to give my social security number.

The drone said "If you don't give it to us, we can't treat you"..

I said "Fine - push me out to the curb and let me die".

The drone made up a number.

"Not for use as identification" - it says that right on the card.
What is it supposed to be for, if it's not for ID? That's the only time in my life when I've been asked for the number.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 8, 2019 at 11:34 am)Chad32 Wrote: What is it supposed to be for, if it's not for ID? That's the only time in my life when I've been asked for the number.

The only places you are required to give a SSN is your employer - your bank - or anytime you recieve money.
I remember the chits we used to fill out in the Navy. At one point it said "Submission of SSN is voluntary. If SSN is not provided disciplinary action may occur." (Not verbatim, and possibly not valid after 1989.)
(October 8, 2019 at 12:24 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I remember the chits we used to fill out in the Navy. At one point it said "Submission of SSN is voluntary. If SSN is not provided disciplinary action may occur." (Not verbatim, and possibly not valid after 1989.)

Yup. They used SSN as a Service Number.

It pissed me off.
(October 8, 2019 at 4:10 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 8, 2019 at 12:24 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I remember the chits we used to fill out in the Navy. At one point it said "Submission of SSN is voluntary. If SSN is not provided disciplinary action may occur." (Not verbatim, and possibly not valid after 1989.)

Yup. They used SSN as a Service Number.

It pissed me off.

I got a service number when I enlisted in '69. Very easy one to remember, still have it in my head.
Yeah, my SSN was also my military serial number.

And when I got my driver's license my SSN was used as my Iowa license number. I think it was when I moved to Arizona in the early 80s too. I don't remember when they did away with that or if all states did it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 8, 2019 at 5:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Yeah, my SSN was also my military serial number.

And when I got my driver's license my SSN was used as my Iowa license number.  I think it was when I moved to Arizona in the early 80s too.  I don't remember when they did away with that or if all states did it.

Michigan doesn't use SSN. They appear to be random. (But are not)

In the service I got a Alaskan, then Californian driver's licenses. 7 years later - I applied for a new michigan DL - and they gave me the same number I had originally. Go figure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your internet privacy is now for sale to the highest bidder in Trumpistan Jackalope 60 6143 March 30, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  Are we more concerned about privacy nowadays? Tea Earl Grey Hot 13 4088 August 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
Exclamation DNA Privacy Goes to the Supreme Court Nobody 0 927 February 27, 2013 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Nobody
  Santorum: You don't have right to privacy Doubting Thomas 0 632 February 28, 2012 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas