Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your internet privacy is now for sale to the highest bidder in Trumpistan
Your internet privacy is now for sale to the highest bidder in Trumpistan
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/28...histories/

Quote:This approval means that whoever you pay to provide you with internet access – Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner Cable, etc – will be able to sell everything they know about your use of the internet to third parties without requiring your approval and without even informing you.

The time for ubiquitous end-to-end encryption is now.
RE: Your internet privacy is now for sale to the highest bidder in Trumpistan
Don't most services you use already sell your information anyway. I'm not sure what extra they're going to get with this. I don't even see the point of this action.
[Image: american-flag-banner.jpg]
Might make it easier to 'hack' our congress critters Tumblr forays . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 28, 2017 at 5:18 pm)Gearbreak Wrote: Don't most services you use already sell your information anyway. I'm not sure what extra they're going to get with this. I don't even see the point of this action.

Google doesn't get your information if you don't use any google products or services. Likewise with other players. You can opt out of it by choosing to not use services that spy on you.

Your ISP knows everything you do online, and in a lot of cases, you don't have much choice - if any - over what ISP you use.
(March 28, 2017 at 5:59 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 28, 2017 at 5:18 pm)Gearbreak Wrote: Don't most services you use already sell your information anyway. I'm not sure what extra they're going to get with this. I don't even see the point of this action.

Google doesn't get your information if you don't use any google products or services.  Likewise with other players.  You can opt out of it by choosing to not use services that spy on you.

Your ISP knows everything you do online, and in a lot of cases, you don't have much choice - if any - over what ISP you use.

I guess, but I don't know what this is going to affect other than making my advertisements more accurate. The internet was never private anyway. Like the article says though you have options for privacy it really matters to you. It doesn't seem like a huge deal.
Only because you have a hard-on for Trump and it's coloring your perception of reality.
(March 28, 2017 at 6:11 pm)Gearbreak Wrote:
(March 28, 2017 at 5:59 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Google doesn't get your information if you don't use any google products or services.  Likewise with other players.  You can opt out of it by choosing to not use services that spy on you.

I guess, but I don't know what this is going to affect other than making my advertisements more accurate. The internet was never private anyway. Like the article says though you have options for privacy it really matters to you. It doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Yes, it's quite excellent that I can in the future purchase services to maintain the same level of privacy I enjoyed yesterday, so that the cable industry can have a $35-70 billion dollar annual profit windfall.
(March 28, 2017 at 6:11 pm)Gearbreak Wrote:
(March 28, 2017 at 5:59 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Google doesn't get your information if you don't use any google products or services.  Likewise with other players.  You can opt out of it by choosing to not use services that spy on you.

It's people like you who are the problem. I'm sorry, but it's true. People shouldn't have to resort to VPNs to prevent their data being sold. Although, I would still recommend VPNs anyway - the US and the UK have become surveillance states.
(March 28, 2017 at 6:14 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Only because you have a hard-on for Trump and it's coloring your perception of reality.

Did I insult you? I'm discussing this pretty calmly and asking for thoughts. Also this hasn't really reached trump yet. It's a house issue atm.
(March 28, 2017 at 6:38 pm)Gearbreak Wrote: Also this hasn't really reached trump yet. It's a house issue atm.

By "it's a house issue" you of course mean it passed the house today, and the Senate last week. It's heading for the president's desk. That's what you meant, amirite?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life saver or invader of privacy? brewer 9 656 October 8, 2019 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  If Blacks have superior dicks, then explain highest risk of infecting AIDS Konboa 8 1315 September 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Okay GOP, now is your time to shine and show how much you really love America GODZILLA 25 3069 July 17, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1232 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Highest Rank of "Moron" Minimalist 2 456 October 10, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Those sad Trump internet trolls/tough guys NuclearEnergy 11 2554 July 16, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What is the Highest Authority You Recognize? Neo-Scholastic 91 14251 April 22, 2017 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  NI election turnout highest since Good Friday Agreement account_inactive 1 661 March 4, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Among Other Things The WLB Will Fuck Up Is the internet. Minimalist 17 2709 January 24, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why America continues to sanction the Iranian people's Internet and e-commerce? A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 2 1193 March 2, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c