Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exorcisms
Exorcisms
I have always been fascinated by exorcisms and possession. I love movies about possession and ghosts and the like. But I always have to wonder, do these people who do exorcisms in real life actually believe what they're doing? I recently watched The Devil and Father Amorth, which is a documentary about a priest in Italy who supposedly did the exorcism that the film, The Exorcism, was based on. The film was clearly made by people with a religious bent, with one of the men in the film straight up admitting, "The priest told me one thing that completely convinced me... he said he couldn't talk about the family's case because they swore him to secrecy... but he said 'This was the real deal,' and that was enough for me." (Not a direct quote)

How strange to be so convinced by a priest saying "this was the real deal..."

Also, there's a very cringeworthy scene where they're performing a "real exorcism," with a woman screaming in Italian, where they very obviously added demonic voice effects... So bizarre.

That's the trailer for the movie. It's available on Netflix right now if anyone cares to watch it. It's all played up and over-hyped to a comedic degree.

What do you guys think about exorcisms and possession? I'd argue that it's untreated mental illness... people with serious schizophrenia and other intense mental health problems, though I'd have to review specific cases to really get into that.

Thoughts?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: Exorcisms
Drama queen - meet religious dogma.....
(October 24, 2019 at 1:11 am)EgoDeath Wrote: I have always been fascinated by exorcisms and possession. I love movies about possession and ghosts and the like. But I always have to wonder, do these people who do exorcisms in real life actually believe what they're doing? I recently watched The Devil and Father Amorth, which is a documentary about a priest in Italy who supposedly did the exorcism that the film, The Exorcism, was based on. The film was clearly made by people with a religious bent, with one of the men in the film straight up admitting, "The priest told me one thing that completely convinced me... he said he couldn't talk about the family's case because they swore him to secrecy... but he said 'This was the real deal,' and that was enough for me." (Not a direct quote)

How strange to be so convinced by a priest saying "this was the real deal..."

Also, there's a very cringeworthy scene where they're performing a "real exorcism," with a woman screaming in Italian, where they very obviously added demonic voice effects... So bizarre.

That's the trailer for the movie. It's available on Netflix right now if anyone cares to watch it. It's all played up and over-hyped to a comedic degree.

What do you guys think about exorcisms and possession? I'd argue that it's untreated mental illness... people with serious schizophrenia and other intense mental health problems, though I'd have to review specific cases to really get into that.

Thoughts?

Of COURSE it's an untreated mental illness.  There's no such things as demons, so there can be no such thing as demonic possession.

I think that a priest or any other cleric who agrees to perform an exorcism should be brought up on charges of criminal endangerment.  These people are ultimately no different than parents who refuse to have their children vaccinated or be given blood transfusions.  Medical conditions require medical treatment, not prayers and holy water.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
@EgoDeath: You need more Bob Larsen in your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-cJ_CkBxvQ

https://www.boblarson.org/religious-skype-encounters/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I could see it sometimes having some kind of placebo effect or possibly providing some beneficial catharsis, but many methods of exorcism are outright dangerous to the afflicted and I don't see how any benefits could be long-lasting if the subject is really mentally ill.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(October 24, 2019 at 6:33 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Of COURSE it's an untreated mental illness.  There's no such things as demons, so there can be no such thing as demonic possession.

I think that a priest or any other cleric who agrees to perform an exorcism should be brought up on charges of criminal endangerment.  These people are ultimately no different than parents who refuse to have their children vaccinated or be given blood transfusions.  Medical conditions require medical treatment, not prayers and holy water.

Boru

Well, the idea that it's actually demonic possession was never on the table for me.

I was leaving the possibility open that it is people simply who are attention-whores, hence the above documentary.

(October 24, 2019 at 9:33 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I could see it sometimes having some kind of placebo effect or possibly providing some beneficial catharsis, but many methods of exorcism are outright dangerous to the afflicted and I don't see how any benefits could be long-lasting if the subject is really mentally ill.

Dangerous how? As in medical neglect?

(October 24, 2019 at 7:49 am)brewer Wrote: @EgoDeath: You need more Bob Larsen in your life.

Ive seen some of these videos before... Ridiculous.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(October 24, 2019 at 6:34 pm)EgoDeath Wrote:
(October 24, 2019 at 7:49 am)brewer Wrote: @EgoDeath: You need more Bob Larsen in your life.

Ive seen some of these videos before... Ridiculous.

That's exactly what I'd expect a demon possessed person to say! 

[Image: source.gif]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Exorcism is the theatrical holy man’s con game. I’d be surprised if there any long lasting effects outside of mental and physical trauma.

Imagine being mentally ill, homosexual, or otherwise “afflicted” -as the bigoted Christians and their ilk would call it- and being tied/held down while a rabid priest shrieks at you and subjects you to their varied ritualistic rigamarole. Probably wouldn’t result in great mental health even if you didn’t have any issues previously.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.

There is also Hegewisch Baptist Church, which exorcises demons from Christians. http://hbcdelivers.org

Their founder was quite influential in the midwest and an elder in a church up in Michigan tried to get my first wife involved in "deliverance ministry" to free her of her mental health issues (paranoid schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder). Of course, it would have made matters worse. I didn't have tons of sense in those days, but I had enough sense to steer clear of that. Still, the general attitude towards mental health standard-of-care by my church was that it was highly suspect and not very helpful, and this was common in the fundagelical world.

Ironically, many years and two marriages later, I ended up living within a couple miles of Hegewisch Baptist. I was only dimply aware of where it was located, and only discovered this after I'd been living there awhile. Imagine the whole new level of weird for people to be part of a church where they undergo mass hysteria every Sunday (at a minimum) and act out exorcisms among themselves. Imagine being a child growing up in that sort of environment.
But why put exorcism under Christianity subforum? because exorcism predates christianity and is present in almost all religions.

Like this hilarious Muslim exorcism

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"