Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 2:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Re-Beginning Of Fossil Fuels
The Re-Beginning Of Fossil Fuels
I've got tanks in my back garden in which I'm growing phytoplankton and zooplankton.  I've discovered a method to speed up the process that turns these into petroleum.  I can't tell you what the method is, but it should cut production time by 50%

So, in 350 million years or so...free petrol for everyone!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: The Re-Beginning Of Fossil Fuels
(November 16, 2019 at 1:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I've got tanks in my back garden in which I'm growing phytoplankton and zooplankton.  I've discovered a method to speed up the process that turns these into petroleum.  I can't tell you what the method is, but it should cut production time by 50%

Boru

I'll mark that on my calendar.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Boru, you have read Hal Clement's Needle?
(November 16, 2019 at 3:11 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Boru, you have read Hal Clement's Needle?

Doesn't ring a bell.  Recommend it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It was fun. It's based on a group of atolls where they're growing algae to make fuel.

Oh, and there's a crashed spaceship just off the reef.
(November 16, 2019 at 4:42 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: It was fun. It's based on a group of atolls where they're growing algae to make fuel.

Oh, and there's a crashed spaceship just off the reef.

Thanks.  I'll have a look.

Boru
(November 16, 2019 at 1:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I've got tanks in my back garden in which I'm growing phytoplankton and zooplankton.  I've discovered a method to speed up the process that turns these into petroleum.  I can't tell you what the method is, but it should cut production time by 50%

Boru

It does not take 350 million years for natural processes to turn stuff into fossils fuel.   Under favorable circumstances it can be as few as a few thousand years.    Your process requires enormous improvement to keep pace with dirt.
(November 16, 2019 at 5:07 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

Boru

It does not take 350 million years for natural processes to turn stuff into fossils fuel.   Under favorable circumstances it can be as few as a few thousand years.    Your process requires enormous improvement to keep pace with dirt.

It depends on the fuel, and I specified petroleum.

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Oil_formation

Quote:The formation of oil takes a significant amount of time with oil beginning to form millions of years ago. 70% of oil deposits existing today were formed in the Mesozoic age (252 to 66 million years ago), 20% were formed in the Cenozoic age (65 million years ago), and only 10% were formed in the Paleozoic age (541 to 252 million years ago).

I went high-end because I'm doing this in my garden (I'll expand once my government grant is approved).  I wasn't able to find a source for fossil fuels forming in 'a few thousand years'.  Got a link?

Boru
(November 16, 2019 at 5:07 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

Boru

Big talk, Mr. I Dozed Through the Carboniferous.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why 'Science' tries to separate the beginning from Evolution! theMadJW 100 8092 May 26, 2020 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The End Of Fossil Fuels. redpill 124 6984 November 19, 2019 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Shutting down fossil fuel electric plants Rahn127 51 3380 October 25, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Oldest Human Fossil Outside of Africa! chimp3 23 3485 January 26, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Ankylosauria Fossil ManMachine 27 3734 February 15, 2015 at 12:09 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  reptile find rewrites fossil record frankiej 3 1747 January 6, 2012 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Minimalist