Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is the blood in the streets.
Where is the blood in the streets.
I remember here in Michigan in 1999-2000 when the legislature was considering making Michigan a "shall issue" state for concealed carry - the naysayers insisted that carnage would result - it would become the "wild wild west", "shootout at the OK Corral", ect.

It just didn't happen.

But violent crime rates did go down - drastically.9

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20...n-the-u-s/
RE: Where is the blood in the streets.
Yep, crime rates have been consistently falling for some time. There's no relationship between that and concealed carry other than eroding the justification to carry in the first place. It is weird, though, that so many people imagine that the US is or will become some sort of battlefield. People who want to carry guns probably already are, license or not. The reliable comparisons to the wild west are even more perplexing. The west wasn't that wild, if empowered gun nutters are the metric. That period saw some of the strictest gun regulations in US history. Mere possession of a firearm in a restricted or prohibited area could and would end in summary execution.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 3, 2020 at 5:38 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: I remember here in Michigan in 1999-2000 when the legislature was considering making Michigan a "shall issue" state for concealed carry - the naysayers insisted that carnage would result - it would become the "wild wild west", "shootout at the OK Corral", ect.

It just didn't happen.

But violent crime rates did go down - drastically.9

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20...n-the-u-s/
Crime was already falling
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(January 3, 2020 at 5:49 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Yep, crime rates have been consistently falling for some time.  There's no relationship between that and concealed carry other than eroding the justification to carry in the first place.  It is weird, though, that so many people imagine that the US is or will become some sort of battlefield.  People who want to carry guns probably already are, license or not.  The reliable comparisons to the wild west are even more perplexing.  The west wasn't that wild, if empowered gun nutters are the metric.  That period saw some of the strictest gun regulations in US history.
It's like the guy standing on the corner in a small village in central Alaska, snapping his fingers. After he had stood there for eight straight hours a cop had to ask him what he was doing.

"Scaring away elephants."

"There not a single elephant within a hundred miles of here."

"See? It works!!"
(January 3, 2020 at 5:49 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Yep, crime rates have been consistently falling for some time.  There's no relationship between that and concealed carry other than eroding the justification to carry in the first place.  It is weird, though, that so many people imagine that the US is or will become some sort of battlefield.  People who want to carry guns probably already are, license or not.  The reliable comparisons to the wild west are even more perplexing.  The west wasn't that wild, if empowered gun nutters are the metric.  That period saw some of the strictest gun regulations in US history.  Mere possession of a firearm in a restricted or prohibited area could and would end in summary execution.
But with falling crime rates you find it necessary to restrict legal ownership of weapons - especially "assault weapons" - which are simply semi-auto rifles - which are the least used class of gun in crimes.

Why?
You're asking the wrong guy. I love my assault weapon. If we wanted to crack down on actual gun crime, we'd be looking at pistols.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 3, 2020 at 6:05 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: You're asking the wrong guy.  I love my assault weapon.  If we wanted to crack down on actual gun crime, we'd be looking at pistols.

My Bushmaster .450 took down 6 deer this year.

No tracking required.

I think it's the best deer rifle ever built.
Meh, I'll probably never step out on my 303. My assault weapon™ is a little sears .22lr from before I was born. Got rid of my sks last year. Oddly enough, the sks, not an assault weapon™

Anywho...as I'm sure that you're aware...people are looking to restrict access to assault weapons™ because they're terrified that some asshole with a black rifle is going to shoot up the kroger, or a school. Crime, going down. Mass shootings...up. It's clear that we have a problem. To use a very apt metaphor, we're dying - and it may be that the cause is something other than the obvious or easiest - but it doesn't hurt to deal with that while we figure out whatever the more comprehensive solution might be. If you went to the er for a gunshot, and found out you had cancer, they're going to stitch you up before they put you in chemo.
One of my cousins shot three deer with the same bullet from a .50 Barrett. Killed one outright, one staggered for a bit and then fell, the last one got a crease on its flank. We gave him a 66% score.
(January 3, 2020 at 6:21 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Meh, I'll probably never step out on my 303.  My assault weapon™ is a little sears .22lr from before I was born.  Got rid of my sks last year.  Oddly enough, the sks, not an assault weapon™

Anywho...as I'm sure that you're aware...people are looking to restrict access to assault weapons™ because they're terrified that some asshole with a black rifle is going to shoot up the kroger, or a school.  Crime, going down.  Mass shootings...up.  It's clear that we have a problem.  To use a very apt metaphor, we're dying - and it may be that the cause is something other than the obvious or easiest - but it doesn't hurt to deal with that while we figure out whatever the more comprehensive solution might be.  If you went to the er for a gunshot, and found out you had cancer, they're going to stitch you up before they put you in chemo.

SKS can be. There were some available that used AK detatchable mags.

They can be a great rifle. I went through better than a dozen before I found one that hits MOA groups (1 minute of angle) at 100 yards. Russian commercial manufacture. It's a keeper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The king has no Kenyan blood mralstoner 35 6505 August 4, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Athene