Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell has frozen over.
Hell has frozen over.
As much as I despise ALL religious conservatism, regardless of the religion, and yes, even Jews, Hindus and Buddhists, have their sects and or individual families who subscribe to bullshit like gender roles and discriminate against outsiders. I love liberal theists for their value of empathy even if I would argue that they do not need a religion.

But sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by my fellow humans. Utah, although slowly, is catching up with the modern world. It is the latest state to ban gay conversion therapy for children.

If Utah keeps this up, I might just have to like them and not feel like I want to nuke them. I give credit where credit is due. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/us/ut...y-ban.html
RE: Hell has frozen over.
Not all that surprising, really.  The LDS have greatly liberalized within the last 15-20 years.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Hell has frozen over.
(January 23, 2020 at 11:52 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not all that surprising, really.  The LDS have greatly liberalized within the last 15-20 years.

Boru

Ok, but still. 

Today's Utah reminds me of my late mother. She was a lifetime mostly voting Republican. On many occasions our political debates went like this.

Me, "Mom do you support gay marriage?"

Mom, "Yes"

Me, "Do you think teachers should get paid more?"

Mom, "Yes"

Me, "Do you think teachers should be allowed to carry guns?" "Do you think our firearm laws are too lax" 

Mom, (And mind you, she would not say "fuck no") but the facial expression would still be an emphatic  "No!" "Yes, guns are far to easy to get." 
(Also keep in mind, this is the same hero to me, who pulled me out of my house as a kid, after my dad shot his 38 in the house with me in the room)

Me, "Do you think social security or medicare should be cut?"

Mom, "Hell's no!" (Again, not her wording, but her facial expression in agreeing with me.)

So this liberal and she being a Republican agree more often than not.

But as soon as I mention party, she shut down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1642 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Hell Freezing Over - Republicans Realize they Need Atheists JesusHChrist 9 2660 March 5, 2015 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: KevinM1