Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know about "Wuthering Heights"?
Anyone know about "Wuthering Heights"?
It is some English thing. The reason I ask is that Pat Benatar has a song called "Wuthering Heights" based on that English lit. Even back then on the album "Crimes Of Passion" never understood the song. Even today I do not.

I did finely force myself to look up the plot of "Wuthering Heights", tonight, just now, but I don't get the plot.

It was long, complicated, but seemed like the stereotypical "love almost, and love lost" plot.

Heathcliff and Catherine (my guess) not understanding the plot, are supposed to end up lovers, but someone dies in all that and a spirit is all that is left to chase?
RE: Anyone know about "Wuthering Heights"?
You ok, bro?
(January 25, 2020 at 11:50 pm)LastPoet Wrote: You ok, bro?

Yes, what is wrong with wanting to understand literature?

I loved the Pat Benatar Song "Wuthering Heights", growing up, never looked into the meaning behind it. But now know it is based on English literature, and want to know the plot of the real literature not just the song.

This is the song by Pat Benatar, but it IS still based on REAL English Literature,

(January 25, 2020 at 11:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 25, 2020 at 11:50 pm)LastPoet Wrote: You ok, bro?

Yes, what is wrong with wanting to understand literature?

I loved the Pat Benatar Song "Wuthering Heights", growing up, never looked into the meaning behind it. But now know it is based on English literature, and want to know the plot of the real literature not just the song.

I will resume myself to my ignorance. I like math, tough to ride, but running romances are not my thing. Your OP seemed weird. You didn't answer my question.
Dude, If you are going to jump into the Gothic Romance genre you might want to start with the Twilight series.

Take your meds - you are off the rails again...still...

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 26, 2020 at 12:10 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Dude, If you are going to jump into the Gothic Romance genre you might want to start with the Twilight series.

Take your meds - you are off the rails again...still...

What meds? I Swear I am not bananas.
(January 26, 2020 at 12:04 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(January 25, 2020 at 11:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yes, what is wrong with wanting to understand literature?

I will resume myself to my ignorance. I like math, tough to ride, but running romances are not my thing. Your OP seemed weird. You didn't answer my question.

It is simple. I only knew "Wuthering Heights" as kid as a Pat Benatar Song. In reality, she based that on some old English literature she read, like one would read Harry Potter by JK Rolling or "The Old Man and The Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. "Wuthering Heights" was a novel by Emily Bronte published in 1846.
(January 26, 2020 at 12:14 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 26, 2020 at 12:04 am)LastPoet Wrote: I will resume myself to my ignorance. I like math, tough to ride, but running romances are not my thing. Your OP seemed weird. You didn't answer my question.

It is simple. I only knew "Wuthering Heights" as kid as a Pat Benatar Song. In reality, she based that on some old English literature she read, like one would read Harry Potter by JK Rolling or "The Old Man and The Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. "Wuthering Heights" was a novel by Emily Bronte published in 1846.

You supposedly have a college education and you just now heard of 'Wuthering Heights'?  You went to Trump's defunct school, didn't you?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 25, 2020 at 11:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It is some English thing. The reason I ask is that Pat Benatar has a song called "Wuthering Heights" based on that English lit. Even back then on the album "Crimes Of Passion" never understood the song. Even today I do not.

I did finely force myself to look up the plot of "Wuthering Heights", tonight, just now, but I don't get the plot.

It was long, complicated, but seemed like the stereotypical "love almost, and love lost" plot.

Heathcliff and Catherine (my guess) not understanding the plot, are supposed to end up lovers, but someone dies in all that and a spirit is all that is left to chase?

It's been made into a movie several times. The one with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon was pretty famous. 

Maybe it would make sense to watch one of these.

https://www.imdb.com/find?q=Wuthering+He..._=nv_sr_sm

I don't know how closely the movies stick to the book, but it would give a sense of the story.
(January 26, 2020 at 12:14 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 26, 2020 at 12:04 am)LastPoet Wrote: I will resume myself to my ignorance. I like math, tough to ride, but running romances are not my thing. Your OP seemed weird. You didn't answer my question.

I will see myself out of this thread for the folowing:
1. I should not have posted here.
2. I don't entertain 'literature'
3. Why am I using court of law language?
-Conclusion:
1. Bah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I wish I understood the plot of Wuthering Heights Brian37 7 761 April 17, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4