Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent convert
Recent convert
Hello all.

I am a 28-year old software engineer who just recently broke free of the mental shackles commonly referred to as religion; Christianity to be specific. I was born into a family with a very religious mother who forced my sister and me to attend church, youth group, evening worship services, bible camps, and a Christian private school that I spent my 7th - 12th grades attending.

I always had a very skeptical, scientific mind thanks to my father who educated me in mathematics, physics, biology, and astronomy at an early age. He never tried to save me from the indoctrination of my mother but I don't hold that against him seeing as he probably did so out of respect to my mom.

Once I graduated from my Christian high school, I attended a secular state university where my higher education began causing me to question my faith, as it commonly does. I came to realize that I always knew it was baloney but I failed to realize that I had any other option. It wasn't until I met the wonderful community at reddit.com/r/atheism did I finally break free. The epiphany completely broke me out of a 2-year long depression and every day is brighter than the last. Now I can live my life according to what I feel is right and good, not how an imaginary sky fairy says I have to.

I'm not sure how detailed these introduction posts generally are but it's just my way of saying "Hello, it's nice to meet all of you."
RE: Recent convert
Welcome!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Welcome to the forums.
Hello, fellow non-idiot! Big Grin
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quote:a very religious mother who forced my sister and me to attend church, youth group, evening worship services, bible camps, and a Christian private school that I spent my 7th - 12th grades attending.

Fucking child abuse.
Welcome! Much happy non-belief to you!

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
Welcome from Oz sorriso Hi

Don't be too hard on your parents...they did what they thought was right at the time and INSPITE of your mum's best efforts you grew up a fine free thinking individual. Good luck with the software engineering!

Brief Bio's are common as introductions so thankyou and enjoy your stay here.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit right in here. Smile

(February 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm)sorriso Wrote: The epiphany completely broke me out of a 2-year long depression and every day is brighter than the last. Now I can live my life according to what I feel is right and good, not how an imaginary sky fairy says I have to.

I can totally relate to that. Like crawling out of the dark into the sunshine. A free and open mind: the gift that just keeps on giving.

[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]
Former Christian here as well, except both parents were and still are evangelical. Welcome and enjoy your stay!
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
Welcome

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user, recent deconvert Lucian 5 819 September 9, 2022 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Recent Registree seeks the bas of Heliopolis Hatshepsut 12 2301 April 16, 2015 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  New convert.. from RD forums Loki_999 18 4852 March 3, 2010 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Loki_999