Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What color are they?
What color are they?
Black or white shoes. What do you see?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifestyle...again.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: What color are they?
Oh, ffs...another one of these.

Black with white markings.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Wow at first I saw Black now I only see White
(January 30, 2020 at 12:10 pm)brewer Wrote: Black or white shoes. What do you see?

People trying to make controversy when there is none.

Light refraction depending on angle can cause the illusion of color change. But if really want to get nerdy, color is not in any object, but in light rays. What our eyes see as color is simply the difference between which of the spectrum gets absorbed by the object, vs  that which gets reflected by the object. "Color" is literally at the molecular level when it comes to light being absorbed, vs being reflected.

There is a waterfall somewhere in the US, that at certain times of the year, when the sunlight hits it, it makes the water look like fire.
(January 30, 2020 at 1:44 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 30, 2020 at 12:10 pm)brewer Wrote: Black or white shoes. What do you see?

People trying to make controversy when there is none.

Light refraction depending on angle can cause the illusion of color change. But if really want to get nerdy, color is not in any object, but in light rays. What our eyes see as color is simply the difference between which of the spectrum gets absorbed by the object, vs  that which gets reflected by the object. "Color" is literally at the molecular level when it comes to light being absorbed, vs being reflected.

There is a waterfall somewhere in the US, that at certain times of the year, when the sunlight hits it, it makes the water look like fire.

Then why do the shoes appear black to some people and white to others?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Gray with white gaudiness.
(January 30, 2020 at 1:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 30, 2020 at 1:44 pm)Brian37 Wrote: People trying to make controversy when there is none.

Then why do the shoes appear black to some people and white to others?

Boru

I just told you. Light refraction, and even slightly moving your computer screen too, can make the color seem to change. Ever see those black and white puzzle patterns in a social media post? Angle and refraction can give the illusion of color change. Just like that fire waterfall I told you about in the prior post. 

You've heard that old saying "Red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky in the morning, sailors take warning." But if you are hundreds of miles up in space at the space station, from your point of view you are only going to see the blue of the ocean, the white of the clouds and the brown of the earth.
(January 30, 2020 at 1:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 30, 2020 at 1:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Then why do the shoes appear black to some people and white to others?

Boru

I just told you. Light refraction, and even slightly moving your computer screen too, can make the color seem to change. Ever see those black and white puzzle patterns in a social media post? Angle and refraction can give the illusion of color change. Just like that fire waterfall I told you about in the prior post. 

You've heard that old saying "Red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky in the morning, sailors take warning." But if you are hundreds of miles up in space at the space station, from your point of view you are only going to see the blue of the ocean, the white of the clouds and the brown of the earth.

I just tried looking at the image again. I moved about to look at it from different angles, and the shoe still looks black. In order for your explanation to be correct, ALL of the people who saw it as black would have to be viewing from a precisely identical angle, ditto for everyone who sees it as white.  This is unlikely to the point of imbecility.

What else you got?

Boru

My god's! It's full of derp!
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(January 30, 2020 at 2:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 30, 2020 at 1:55 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I just told you. Light refraction, and even slightly moving your computer screen too, can make the color seem to change. Ever see those black and white puzzle patterns in a social media post? Angle and refraction can give the illusion of color change. Just like that fire waterfall I told you about in the prior post. 

I just tried looking at the image again. I moved about to look at it from different angles, and the shoe still looks black. What else you got?

Boru

Boru, does someone pay you to be a constant contrarian to every post I make?

It isn't one factor that can cause someone to see something differently as far as color, but multiple factors.

1. Light refracting off the object and the difference between what gets absorbed and what bounces back to your eye.

2. Angle. Light source, natural or man made.

3. Point of view. Just like an 18 wheeler that is two miles in front of you on a flat highway is going to look small compared to the one right next to you. The person in that 18 wheeler 2 miles in front of you is going to see you as small too until they approach you. 

4. Even imperfect eyes. If you have "color blindness", which is a horrible term, and does not mean one only sees in black and white, but if you have that malady, your eyes can see any given color slightly different than others. 

I cannot address the example given. I can say however it is no different seeing shapes in clouds. If you want to see something badly enough you will. The original post(the person who wrote the story in the link.  Link s simply another attention seeker just like that stupid dress bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guess He Figured If They Were In A Nursing Home They Weren't "Donors." Minimalist 5 1066 September 25, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  They Just Don't Make Nazis Like They Used To Minimalist 23 3606 September 5, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie