Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble flying
Trouble flying
There's a new viral video of people on plane having trouble with seats and being overall uncomfortable

And indeed, flying on commercial jets is generally butt of many jokes, from jets being uncomfortable, bad food, small bathrooms, fear of flying and turbulence, airports, TSA, and overall misery.

So do you think if it would be a better option if really fast trains were built, like monorail that can go almost as fast as airplanes and are more comfortable, safer, cleaner (less polluting), no TSA... or do people must fly?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Trouble flying
(February 13, 2020 at 12:35 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: There's a new viral video of people on plane having trouble with seats and being overall uncomfortable

And indeed, flying on commercial jets is generally butt of many jokes, from jets being uncomfortable, bad food, small bathrooms, fear of flying and turbulence, airports, TSA, and overall misery.

So do you think if it would be a better option if really fast trains were built, like monorail that can go almost as fast as airplanes and are more comfortable, safer, cleaner (less polluting), no TSA... or do people must fly?

Until we can afford to build high speed rails across or under the oceans, air travel will always be with us.

But even if we could replace all air travel with train travel, most of those issues you listed would still be with us. The lack of air travel would necessarily shunt those passengers onto trains and economies of scale would make the trains less comfortable.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 13, 2020 at 1:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Until we can afford to build high speed rails across or under the oceans, air travel will always be with us.

Well yeah, I didn't mean across oceans, but for instance across the US like there are fast monorails in Japan.

(February 13, 2020 at 1:06 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The lack of air travel would necessarily shunt those passengers onto trains and economies of scale would make the trains less comfortable.

Boru

But couldn't they just add more wagons?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
"But couldn't they just add more wagons?" That would slow it down.
Let's say a high speed train has a capacity of 1000 people per trip (I have no idea what the actual figure might be).  Eventually, whoever is operating the railroad is going to need to move twice as many people. They can either build another train and the associated infrastructure or they can cram as many people as possible into the trains they already have. Which option is a corporation of government most likely to do?

This is what Japan is already dealing with.  Imagine if everyone who was flying had to take a train instead:

Don't get me wrong - would much prefer to see a massive investment in rail travel to the detriment of air travel.  I just don't think it's going to be feasible without a MASSIVE investment, which I don't see happening.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm hoping HS2 will accommodate double decker carriages. These seem fairly common on the continent but our network wasn't demolished 75 years ago.
High speed rail is good across most of Europe, (well as far as Budapest at any rate) and something that Britain needs to catch up on badly.
Ocean air-travel is obviously required but it shouldn't be overland.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(February 13, 2020 at 2:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This is what Japan is already dealing with.  Imagine if everyone who was flying had to take a train instead:

Come on, that is daily city transport of people going to work and not passengers on longer routes.

But I do admit problem seems to be more complicated than I anticipated.

Nevertheless, monorail magnetic trains shouldn't be so problematic in carrying many wagons since they levitate and therefore don't lose on friction, so SCMaglev can carry 16 wagons (but how much passengers is that, I don't know)

And here's an uplifting video

But it does seem like it is still on experimental level and it is probably very expensive to have that kind of magnetic rail.

(February 13, 2020 at 2:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I just don't think it's going to be feasible without a MASSIVE investment, which I don't see happening.

Boru

But this is Trump's era where "economy is doing better than ever" so there certainly has to be money in the best economy ever for something that important.
(February 13, 2020 at 6:26 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(February 13, 2020 at 2:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This is what Japan is already dealing with.  Imagine if everyone who was flying had to take a train instead:

Come on, that is daily city transport of people going to work and not passengers on longer routes.

But I do admit problem seems to be more complicated than I anticipated.

Nevertheless, monorail magnetic trains shouldn't be so problematic in carrying many wagons since they levitate and therefore don't lose on friction, so SCMaglev can carry 16 wagons (but how much passengers is that, I don't know)

And here's an uplifting video

But it does seem like it is still on experimental level and it is probably very expensive to have that kind of magnetic rail.

(February 13, 2020 at 2:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I just don't think it's going to be feasible without a MASSIVE investment, which I don't see happening.

Boru

But this is Trump's era where "economy is doing better than ever" so there certainly has to be money in the best economy ever for something that important.

Some 15 years ago, the Shanghai MagLev Project was built at a cost of US$1,2 billion (5 cars, track, 2 stations). The track is just under 20 miles long. The train you mention with 16 cars is projected to carry 1000 passengers.

While extrapolations of this sort are clearly a mug’s game, I’m going to do one anyway. Smile

Let’s assume that, due to refinement in technology and possible breakthroughs in material and theory, the cost of building these trains drops by 50%. This means a train three times as long as the Shanghai would cost $1.8 billion.  

At any given moment, there about 6 million people in the air. This means - not counting overseas flights - that the cost of building enough maglev trains to take up the load would be on the close order of 11 TRILLION US dollars, not including upkeep and operation. This is almost half the US GDP and about 70 times the cost of the entire Apollo programme.

But being so prohibitively expensive does’t alter the fact that, in most respects, it’s a cracking good idea. Your grandchildren might live to see it, we never will.

Boru
I have no trouble flying.

BANZAI Taka .... Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I TOLD You Those Vegans Were Trouble!! BrianSoddingBoru4 6 783 September 1, 2019 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Tumblr Trouble - no surprise Foxaèr 1 252 May 8, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  It Seems That Civilian Courts Don't Have Trouble Convicting Terrorists Minimalist 4 688 November 6, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Josh Duggar is in trouble again drfuzzy 19 2978 November 19, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This Thing Is a Flying Pig Minimalist 23 3632 May 8, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Another Fraternity In Trouble Minimalist 4 880 March 21, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Vox Populi
  Britain is in trouble Foxaèr 73 9559 May 6, 2014 at 9:06 am
Last Post: Cyberman