Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britain is in trouble
Britain is in trouble
Quote:Religious groups have backed Prime Minister David Cameron's assertion Britain is "a Christian country".

Public figures, including authors Sir Terry Pratchett and Philip Pullman - in an open letter published in Monday's Daily Telegraph - said: "We object to his characterisation of Britain as a 'Christian country' and the negative consequences for politics and society that this engenders.

"Apart from in the narrow constitutional sense that we continue to have an established Church, Britain is not a 'Christian country'.

"Constantly to claim otherwise fosters alienation and division in our society."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27105023
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Britain is in trouble
Its just drama to be honest. Probably just trying to win back some of the religious groups that threw a tantrum when gay marriage was being legalized.
At least we don't have an established church here. Neener-neener.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
That could be the problem. Having an established church might be acting as a straitjacket, keeping the more extreme nutters in check. That's not to say that we don't have our share of religious idiocy, just that we keep ours in a zoo.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
That's great news!!! We can now unfuck ourselves by returning the Pilgrims.
Re: RE: Britain is in trouble
(April 22, 2014 at 11:15 am)Insanity Wrote: Its just drama to be honest. Probably just trying to win back some of the religious groups that threw a tantrum when gay marriage was being legalized.
This is exactly what's happening.
Nothing to worry about at all. Christianity will continue to die off in this country, as it has been doing for a while. It's only really old people, thick people, and immigrants who are still Christians at all.

I wonder if these crazy "gays cause storms!!!" people noticed how the arrival of this wonderfully improved weather basically coincided with the first same sex marriages? Maybe their God was actually mad at them for trying to stop it happening. Bet none of them thought of that, because strangely enough they believe that their God, by some magical coincidence, happens to believe all the things they do.
I wonder how many fireworks will accrue (if any) with the ascension of Prince Charles (and Camilla) to the throne at some point?

Just from the entertainment value alone, I am hoping for quite the row, but I realize the numbers of folks outraged by the implications are being weeded out (if you will) by old age and some big public hullabaloo about divorce, remarriage, Morganitic queens, Diana, tradition, virginity etc. would be really fun and a nice dividend from all the blood treasure and capital expended on all their pomp and circumstance.

Ostensibly, Britain is encumbered with a state religion, and (depending on your viewpoint) 500 years or 2000 years of religious red tape to cope with whenever anything big happens in the Monarchy, but the number of folks that actually care these days is small and shrinking fast.

Popcorn
The Tories are desperate to claw back the UKIP vote.
As long as you guys keep making Top Gear, you'll be fine. They make such fine contributions to society. Like the Hover-Van, and the Toybota, and the Gee Whizz!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Independence pleeeeaaaase.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble flying Fake Messiah 8 422 February 14, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  I TOLD You Those Vegans Were Trouble!! BrianSoddingBoru4 6 778 September 1, 2019 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Tumblr Trouble - no surprise Foxaèr 1 244 May 8, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  It Seems That Civilian Courts Don't Have Trouble Convicting Terrorists Minimalist 4 665 November 6, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I Suppose This Means The WLB Will Declare War on Britain Minimalist 2 461 March 14, 2018 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dear Britain: Minimalist 9 961 December 26, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Dear Britain Minimalist 9 1196 December 1, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Britain 1 US 0 Minimalist 9 947 August 29, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Go For It, Britain Minimalist 49 6839 December 12, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Josh Duggar is in trouble again drfuzzy 19 2863 November 19, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist