Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letting Go Of God - Julia Sweeney - Hilarious full youtube vid inside
Letting Go Of God - Julia Sweeney - Hilarious full youtube vid inside

Watched (well, listened to, really) this for the first time the other week and it's still playing in my head, a lovely and fabulous piece of work (the video, I mean Hehe ) - those blue footed brain eating boo...anyway, highly recommended!!
RE: Letting Go Of God - Julia Sweeney - Hilarious full youtube vid inside
I had this on CD and listened to it more than a few times on commutes to and from work. It's well done with some funny parts as well as parts to make you think.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I just love the way she tears Deepak Chopra down  Hilarious
this woman reminds me of my faithful neighbor
Just goes to show - don't judge a book by its cover....unless that cover's a Niqab, perhaps...

Just to add masoni - "faithful" does not mean "religious" in modern English, rather it means "doesn't have sex with anybody other than their partner." A bit like how "infidel" has a dual if not nebulous meaning when used in the context of Islam. Sex sex sex sex sex etc etc etc
Discovered this when she performed it on This American Life. Must have listened to it about a dozen times before I eventually found the entire thing on CD in the library well over a decade ago. Just for the record, it skips from her disillusionment at the Bible after having read it in full to her deciding to be an atheist. The added material certainly helps put it into perspective.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Another highly salient moment, for me, is where she elaborates on how she sometimes FEELS there is a higher power, but her logic overrides that and "tells her" there is not.
(May 13, 2020 at 2:13 pm)Editz Wrote:

Watched (well, listened to, really) this for the first time the other week and it's still playing in my head, a lovely and fabulous piece of work (the video, I mean Hehe ) - those blue footed brain eating boo...anyway, highly recommended!!

I didn't get to say a word to her back in 2007, but after the fact I realized that I had spotted her at a coffee shop at the 2007 Atheist Convention in Crystal CitY Va Washington DC hotel convention. That convention hit the atheist motherload. Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and Daniel Dennett were all keynote speakers.
She is ace, thru and thru to the true. I'd buy her a bottle of Moet, never mind coffee...oh no I am a groupie hahah!
(May 19, 2020 at 4:33 pm)Editz Wrote: She is ace, thru and thru to the true. I'd buy her a bottle of Moet, never mind coffee...oh no I am a groupie hahah!

SNL was always spotty for me. In the 40 years of it's existence most of the time I was not a fan and never watched it regularly. But it had it's moments, like Mr Robertson's Neighborhood, and the time that Stevie Wonder did his spoof of the Cannon Camera spoof add. And more recently Alec Baldwin ripping Trump a new asshole. 

But, long term, I have liked "Weekend Update". But I can say I never really got into Julia's running characters. 

My favorite weekend late night shows were "Fridays" and "Living Color" and "Mad TV".

(May 20, 2020 at 1:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 19, 2020 at 4:33 pm)Editz Wrote: She is ace, thru and thru to the true. I'd buy her a bottle of Moet, never mind coffee...oh no I am a groupie hahah!

SNL was always spotty for me. In the 40 years of it's existence most of the time I was not a fan and never watched it regularly. But it had it's moments, like Mr Robertson's Neighborhood, and the time that Stevie Wonder did his spoof of the Cannon Camera spoof add. And more recently Alec Baldwin ripping Trump a new asshole. 

But, long term, I have liked "Weekend Update". But I can say I never really got into Julia's running characters. 

My favorite weekend late night shows were "Fridays" and "Living Color" and "Mad TV".

For example.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This vid is hilarious ignoramus 1 283 April 16, 2019 at 3:40 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What's your favourite youtube video bobby 33 3241 October 2, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Top 100 viral youtube vids ignoramus 0 279 April 16, 2018 at 5:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Absolutely hilarious!! Jehanne 1 405 January 19, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Youtube comments paulpablo 3 512 September 29, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Weirdest YouTube videos Aegon 4 1150 May 31, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Facebook page full of useful memes popeyespappy 3 1041 November 18, 2015 at 5:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Our Friend Satan - hilarious graphic novel about depressed Satan and DIABOLICAL POPE satan_buttercup 0 792 August 19, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: satan_buttercup
  Age of Oblivion - my (hopefully) first full novel. Iroscato 15 2625 August 13, 2015 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Day 237 on the Cute Side of YouTube abentwookie 1 1038 March 24, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Alex K